Which Cruise Line

Search

Which Cruise Line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Cruise Line

My father and I are thinking of an Alaskan cruise this summer--he's 85 and I"m 58--my husband, dad, and i have traveled together on Silverseas and Seabourn for several years--and have always enjoyed these-- but this time it will be just the two of us--we do have the Silverseas brouchure--are there any other cruiselines you have really enjoyed??Thanks in advance. Jan
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 10:19 PM

Determine why you are going to Alaska?? For me most everything I go for is outside the ship. If the ship is your priority- then your selection is definately ideal! But if seeing Alaska is- then look also at route, ports, time in ports, glacier, price. Budget fully for costly excursions - you get only 1/2 a trip without them. Determine- your route and how much time you can invest then go from there. My opinion only- I never consider any one ways without adding at least 5 additional days interior touring- I like taking advantage of being all the way there.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 07:02 AM

We did Alaska on the Infinity ( A Celebrity ship). We are in our 50's. It was wonderful! A very diversified age group...mostly 50 & up. great food and great entertainment. Excursions on land were wonderful!
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:45 PM

I'm going on the Celebrity Mercuy in August. Which shore excursions did you take?
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:15 AM

The following post was taken from the US board today:

"Clipper Cruise Line has last min bargain fares of $900. pp 8 days 7 nights from Juneau on their Yorktown Clipper departing 22 and 29 May in any of their remaining 5 classed cabins. That's a savings of up to $5300.
Ask for AOSBEM @ 1-800-325-0010."

I have sailed on Clipper's 12 day repositioning cruise to Alaska last May and I think that this would be a wonderful option for you and your dad. The Yorktown Clipper has 138 passengers, wonderful food with open seatings, and a casual atmosphere. Their clientele are 50+, well traveled, and well educated. This is a great rate for a small ship experience if you can finalize your plans quickly enough.

Old May 15th, 2004, 02:32 PM
as1

Princess has very good cruises and prices.

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:56 PM

If Seabourn is your standard, then I daresay you will not find Princess or any other of the premium lines acceptable.

Seabourn has just started an Alaska itinerary - have you looked at this option.

If you want a big ship experience in the same class as Seabourn, then Crystal is probably the one to consider.
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:03 AM

I really wonder about that Clipper special rate. They just posted on their website as of the 14th and the special rate for that cruise on both dates is pay regular price for one and get 50% off the second.
Old May 17th, 2004, 02:43 AM

Louise, those two Clipper offerings have different promotional codes.....
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Thanks, Retired Teacher - I was just curious because I check their website all the time for specials and also get offers in the mail from Clipper. How does one discover these "special" promotions? I would love to do an upcoming cruise and hate to miss a discount!
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:19 PM

Louise, I signed up to receive e-mail notification of last minute specials. I do not remember where I discovered that resource, but I know that I did it online. Why don't you contact Intrav and ask them?

P.S. On a retired teacher's salary, the only time that I sail with Clipper is on these last minute 'fill the ship' offerings, so I'd be hesistant to share my source on this forum even if I could remember where I found it! If Intrav can't help you, get back to me at this site and I'll see if I can locate the sign up info.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:39 AM

Thank you RetiredTeacher - maybe we will meet sometime on a "last minute special" cruise.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 11:19 AM

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises does an excellent job in Alaska. The Seven Seas Mariner is a 700-passenger ship with all outside balcony suites. They do 7-night cruises from Vancouver to Seward (Anchorage) and back again. I believe that The food and service on Radisson is on a par with Silversea and Seabourn. Another favorite of mine is Crystal. They sail 11 and 12-nights from San Francisco. You can't beat it for the convenience and the low airfare. It'a great itinerary, too.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Dear Virgo:

Thank you for your information. Have you been on this cruise--this will be the first time for us? i would apprecitate any suggestions as far as itineraries are concerned. Thank you so much. Jan
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:31 AM

In your age group Holland America! They have specials going on now. Bon Voyage.
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:18 PM
MMSF

No way! If your past experiences are Seabourn and Silversea, Holland American will not be acceptable, though if I HAVE to take a mass market line, HA would be the choice. But.... Once you are used to the top of the line services, standing in line with 2,000 other passengers is, well, not an option anymore.

Old May 27th, 2004, 04:06 AM

My first cruise--albeit years ago--was on a Holland America ship to Alaska. It felt like a floating prison. I swore I'd never cruise again, until I got talked into a Radisson Seven Seas cruise. I've been on them three times now: they're wonderful. From what I understand, they are along the same level as Silversea or Seaborn.
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:27 PM

Sorry jlpx2 that I haven't relied sooner. I've been away. To answer your questions -- yes, I have been on Radisson in the Baltic and Crystal in Alaska. If you are a Seabourn and Silversea person, you would probably prefer Radisson. they have open seating at dinner; and with the complimentary wine at dinner, and all soft drinks included, you are not constantly signing for your drinks.

What I love about Crystal is the entertainment and variety of things to do aboard. And also the outside deck space. Lots of great places to curl up with a good book -- and there are plenty in the library. But your 85 year old father might prefer a smaller ship -- not so much walking.

But I see that Silversea is sailing in Alaska this summer. Why don't you just book with them?
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:46 AM

Go check out CruiseWest and their Spirit of Oceanus (renamed/tooled RenI) which holds only 110 pax in beautiful, huge quarters. They do a great job and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Those monster ships will not suit someone accustomed to Seabourn/Silverseas/Song of Flower - the logistics alone of getting on and off the big ships is daunting. Plus, smaller ships like Cruise West operates can nuzzle right up to the shorelines. Trust me, it'll make the difference between great and so-so.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 07:25 PM

We sailed on the Radisson Voyager July '03, and became lovers of the Radisson line. On the ship was a professor from the University of Alaska who told us about everything, the glaciers, the local Alaskan natives, history, etc. My husband has to have both knees replaced and could not do much walking, but the ship allowed him to enjoy Alaska without leaving the ship if he didn't want to... The Mariner has a deck 12 that is wonderful. Many of the lectures were held there. The exercise room was sea-level and watching the Hubbard glacier from that vantage point, while running the treadmill was a unique experience. I hiked to lower Dewey lake, to Indian Creek, and half-way up Deer Mountain during the different stops. The meals were great, not having to have reservations for dinner was wonderful, and we really didn't feel like there were 600 people on the ship.

Hope this helps. http://rssc.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -