Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

What to do with luggage in Miami before the cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cruise leaves Miami at 4:00 PM. We are flying into Miami(MIA) on a red-eye that arrives at 7:30AM the same day our cruise leaves. We're wondering if anyone is aware of what we might be able to do with our luggage if we want to tour Miami before departing on the cruise. We've considered renting a car, though it seems expensive. Might there be luggage lockers either at the airport or port, or another option we're not thinking of?

Thanks to anyone that can help!
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Check out the website for Miami airport to see if they offer this service. I would not rent a car for just a few hours nor would I make a roundtrip to the airport.

Perhaps go to Bayside and have brunch and then head to the pier early.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:45 AM

My experience is that you can usually board early, around 11:30 or 12, so maybe just stop somewhere for breakfast and then head to the port. Does your cruise offer pre-cruise excursions?

Hmm, although if you get there that early, maybe you could just head to the ship and drop your luggage off with the porters. Then you could just grab a cab. Maybe someone can confirm if this is doable.

I would try posting this over on cruisecrutic.com too.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 10:53 AM

If you rent a vehicle from Hertz, you can leave it at the Hertz office near the cruise port with no drop charge. They have a van which will take you to the ship.

An alternative would be to take a taxi to the Intercontinental Hotel near the cruise port, (it's about 500 yards away) check your luggage with the bell staff, have a wonderful brunch in one of their restaurants, and take a taxi or shuttle to the cruise port about 1:00 p.m.

Because I find driving in Miami less than fun, the latter alternative is the one I would choose.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the replies. We ended up taking a taxi to the Intercontinental Miami. They held our luggage for $1 per bag. We had a nice breakfast there at the hotel, and then walked down to Bayside. We also took the local tram system around the area. The tram, while free, wasn't worth the time, as it just exposed the mundane surroundings. After that it was about a $10, 10 minute taxi ride to the port. Thanks!