what is chankanaab park in cozumel?

Jan 22nd, 2000, 07:09 PM
gabi

what is chankanaab park in cozumel?

We are taking the paridise in the end of january and i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a the day trip in cozumel. I've heard of chankanaab park. What is there to do at the park. I read something about dolphins and would be very interested in more information. We have 2 kids ages 5 and 6 and don't intend to leave them at "camp carnival" thanks for your help, gabi

Jan 24th, 2000, 07:00 AM
Kathy

Chankanaab National Park is a nature park iwth a saltwater lagoon, underwater caves, offshore reefs, an archeological park, a botanical garden, a wildlife sanctuary, reproductions of Mayan dwellings, a swim with the dolphins excursion and a white sand beach. There is a changing area with showers and lockers. Scuba divers and snorklers can see a sunken ship offshore. It is about a 10 min. taxi ride to get there, approx. $7 for the taxi. Admission fee to the park is about the same (free for kids 9 and under) A great family place.

Jan 26th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Parrot Mom

Hi-avoid the wall to wall crowds in the water...when you get there go to the right..there is a tiny white sand beach with chairs,etc. and you can go snorkeling there too. To see all these bodies face down is funny with the snorkles..the smaller little beach is much less crowded

Jan 30th, 2000, 07:27 PM
larry

Went to Cozumel twice last year. My cruise is going back in March 2000. I will visit Chankanaab again. Plenty of water to snorkel(with lots of fish to see), good beach, good restuarants, wonderful nature trail that is very nice. No dolphins that I know of.. but I saw several iguanas. With small kids it's your best bet in Cozumel. You won't be disappointed.

Jan 31st, 2000, 06:30 AM
Kay Carter

Would someone please tell me the correct pronunciation of "chankanaab"? I'm not sure and I hate being unsure.

Feb 4th, 2000, 07:07 AM
Mark

Just back from cruising CCL M/S Sensationn. Had a fantastic time at Parque Chankanaab. Thanks for the info.

Chankanaab snorkelling is great. Many fish. Beautiful colours. The water drops off to 20 - 30 feet pretty quickly. But, many people rented life jackets, so non-swimmers were able to enjoy the experience. Go for it!

The "Swim With the Dolphins" is expensive. But, everyone can watch for free.

There is a photographer out in the sea. He takes everyone's picture with the fish. When we were leaving, we went to check out the picture. They wanted US$10 for the picture. We said no and the guy chased us down to offer it to us for $5.

There are washrooms, showers, locker rentals, snorkelling gear rental, restaurants and shops right by the beach. There are many lounge chairs. They bring drinks right to you on the beach. And best of all, there are no vendors on the beach selling jewellery and souvenirs!!!

Warning: Don't bring food in to the sea to feed the fish. That was the only time that the fish got aggressive and snipped at your fingers.

Prices: Don't bother with Pesos. The cab drivers and vendors did not want them. US dollars rule. Entrance NP$63 or US$7. Snorkel gear rental US$5. Beer US$2. Soda US$1. Cab from cruise ship dock US$8 and from Centro US$10.

Search this Thread