Reload this Page >

Western Carribean on Grand Princess

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 11:19 PM
M.Y.

We will be going to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya on the Grand Princess at the end of September. Any suggestion of what to do and the cost? At Grand Cayman I want to go snorkel at Sting Ray City. I would like to go to Tulum to see the ruins when we dock at Cozumel. Is it possible to do it on my own instead of joining the ship's shore excursion? And I have no idea what to do at Costa Maya? Help!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:23 AM
jody

We are too. We leave Sept. 22. Is that your cruise??? Read the info on this site about Costa Maya. It's not much I gather but we're thinking about just going to a beach. Grand Cayman I hear the Sting Ray City is great. Cozumel ruins are nice if that's what you want to do, can be very hot and long, however. Will I see you on Board???

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Lenore

We've been to Grand Cayman and YES, the Stingray City excursion is a must. It doesn't last that long, so you'll still have time for shopping or other activities. <BR><BR>We did a Tulum trip on our own when we were in Cozumel. We took a taxi into town, then the ferry over to Playa del Carmen, then a bus to Tulum. We thought we bought RT bus tickets, but once in Tulum they said no. So we hired a taxi to take us back to Playa del Carmen after touring the ruins (which were awesome and we were so glad we did it). We then caught the ferry back to Cozumel, shopped a little, then taxied back to the ship. Even with all those modes of transportation and the admission fee for Tulum, we still paid just a little over half what the ship would have charged us!!<BR><BR>Last Christmas we had a stop in Costa Maya. There isn't much there so you'd better plan an excursion. We did the shorter Mayan ruin tour and were very pleased with our choice. This is completely different from Tulum and they let you climb all over the pyramids. I could barely walk for the next two days, but it was fun anyway. Enjoy your cruise.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM
angel

One thing you might want to do, is charter your own boat to go to "Sting Ray City"....we just got back from there, and I bet there were at least 1000 people in this small area...all trying to "swim" with the rays as well as feed them (needless to say, when we got there at noon, they were all full!)...the cruise ships take privia to this, so book with someone that will take you "separate" from where everyone else is...I know it's done, because I saw chartered boats 1/4 to 1/2 mile from us, and they had better luck in "swimming" with these beautiful creatures...good luck...

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:32 PM
M.Y.

Hi Jody,<BR><BR>It is the same cruise. I'll see you on the ship. This is the 2nd time we are going this route. We are traveling with our kids and 3 other families. If you want to contact me on the ship e-mail me and we can meet on the ship.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:43 PM
M.Y.

Lenore,<BR><BR>Do you remember how much and how long was the bus and taxi ride to Tulum? and how long did your trip take? I am so afraid that we may not get back to the ship on time because I heard the ferry run from the Mainland to Cozumel every 2 hours. At Costa Maya which ruins did you go and did you arranged this on your own? and how much did it cost? I visited the Costa Maya website but there wasn't any helpful information. Thanks for all your tips.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 11:44 PM
M.Y.

Angel,<BR><BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Lenore

M.Y. - Regarding Tulum, I'm sorry I don't recall the amounts for each segment of the trip. I just remember that the ship was charging about $80 or $85pp and we did the whole RT trip ourselves for about $85-90 total. I don't think I'd do it with kids because there is a certain element of fear when you're in a 3rd world country and relying on their integrity. Know what I mean? Besides, I think younger kids would be bored there anyway. It took the better part of the day, but we still got back to Cozumel with plenty of time to shop.<BR><BR>They offered two Mayan ruins tours, but we chose the shorter, cheaper one. There was an hour bus ride each way and about two hours at the ruins. Again, I don't remember the name of the ruins or the cost of the excursion (which we did through the ship). We got back with more than enough time to shop around the little plaza there. It was brand new last Christmas and only about half full at that time. There's probably more to it by now. Enjoy!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 12:08 AM
M.Y.

Lenore,<BR><BR>Thanks again for your valuable info.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Lenore

You're welcome M.Y. - I just thought of another tidbit. Due to poor weather (rainy & windy), we did not get to go to Cayman during our last Western cruise. They have to use tenders (small boats) to go ashore because Cayman does not have a deep water port. If the weather is bad, they have to cancel the port for safety reasons. It was a big disappointment, but at least we'd been there before and had already done the Stingray City thing. Hopefully your weather will be sunny and beautiful!

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:45 AM
dana

I was on the Grand Princess week of July 28th. On Grand Cayman we did a snorkel/sting ray city trip. We booked through Captain Marvins a few weeks before sailing. We did the 2 hr trip for about $35 per person. It was great! There were only 6 of us on a small boat, saw great fish and spent enough time w/the stingrays. As for Costa Maya, I would recommend taking a ship's tour or just hang out on the ship or the beach/pool at the dock. In Cozumel we went to Chaankaab Park (spelling??)on our own. It was $10 a person to get in, about a $10 cab ride each way. We say a sea lion show ( I think it was $5 per person) and just hung out at the beach. I am sure there are better beaches on the island, but it was worth the trip, but don't think I would return again. I hope you have a great trip!

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 10:55 AM
M.Y.

Thanks Dana.

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 01:16 PM
cruising

If you would like to pre book your shore excursions thru Princess, go onto their website and put your booking # in. You will be able to access your reservation and pre pay for your trips. Many things that you want to do, do not require you to go thru the cruise line. You can go online though to get cost information.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:20 AM
M.Y.

Cruising,<BR><BR>Thanks, but I've already pass the deadline to book on line with the cruiseline and I really wanted to do it on my own instead sticking to a set schedule and follows where everyone goes. So any info about the ports and costs would be helpful.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 03:32 PM
Rick

I know I shouldn't tell everyone but I know of a place that is paradise. I have a friend that went to x-ert in cozumel (not sure of spelling) and he said it was wonderful. Like swimming in an underground river that leads to the most beautiful blue lagoon you ever saw. We saw his pictures and said book it now. We are going on 9/8 and can't wait.