Viking/Others Shore Excursion Costs

Mar 20th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Viking/Others Shore Excursion Costs

It appears that cruise lines do not give costs for their shore excursions before you are on the ship. Can anyone give some examples of what they have paid recently. I see Giovanna went on a Viking Russia cruise and have particular interest in that.
Apr 5th, 2008, 08:05 PM

We have taken 3 Viking Cruises and have been very happy with them. The shore excursions are included. On each trip there will 2 or 3 optional tours that are avaiable. For example, we went to the concert/ballet in Vienna and it was reasonalby priced but I don't remember the exact price. All in all, I don't know if you can beat the whole package that you get from Viking. We also did a Russian cruise on Viking in September of '07 and it was really great. We will do another Russian trip with Viking in the next year or two, it was that good.
Apr 7th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Not only are the shore excursions included, but gratuities are also...because you will have more than one tour director and you could be on day excursions with any of them.
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

We have one totally free day in Moscow. The only shore excursions for that day are at extra cost including 18 euros just for the shuttle to get into Moscow .
The brochures show less excursions included in price for 2008 versus 2007.
Apr 15th, 2008, 11:54 PM

I'd have to dig out my papers, but I'm sure prices have changed since our trip.

We went with Viking "Waterways of the Czars" Moscow to St. Petersburg.

The optional tours were reasonably priced. We signed up for one in Moscow, but hired a private guide for the free days in St. Petersburg. It wasn't so much the cost, but that we were on our own and could do whatever we liked with her, whenever we liked.

After ten days or so with a huge group and a regimented schedule, it was a huge relief to go off on our own with a private guide.

But, we hired her ahead because we could not ascertain before leaving home what optionals would be available while in St. Petersburg.

As it turned out, we were thrilled with our private guide and our decision to engage her.

Many appealing optionals were offered by Viking, at reasonable prices, but we had had enough of the morning tour, back to the ship for lunch, afternoon tour, back to the ship for dinner, evening optional, etc. Too much wasted time!

But, had we not engaged our private guide, we wouldn't have minded signing up for a few "optionals".

We were very glad to skip a few included meals and go with our guide as we pleased. And, it turned out that she was more economical. But, not so much that we would have been distressed with the Viking prices.

We were also thrilled to get away from touring with "the group", meeting to get on the bus, etc.

Otherwise, we were very, very pleased with the Viking tour in every way.

On our tour, in both Moscow and St. Petersburg, on the free days/afternoons, a complimentary shuttle was provided "into the city and back". But, public transportation was also convenient if you wanted to go earlier/return later on your own.

And, don't be shy - speak up. If you spread the word...they will accomodate. For example, included was the Circus in Moscow one evening. Many of us really wanted to ride around the city at night and wander through Red Square in the moonlight, and they were very gracious about that.

Also, the day of departure, many of us had later departures for the airport, but earlier than lunch. The Chef, bless him, started earlier for lunch, and we enjoyed a magnificent meal, including wonderful Beef Stroganoff and awesome "potato cakes" ahead of having to rely on airline food for the long, long, journey home.

Since you're there, despite all you see and do that's "included", do NOT hesitate to skip a "free meal" for significant extra time seeing and doing when you have the opportunity.

One significant example I recall, an "optional" with Viking was a Canal Cruise in St. Petersburg, which we had read/heard ahead was "not to be missed" (very true, despite having been on a ship all those days...). The Viking "optional" cost more (but included strawberries, music, Champagne). We did this with our private guide, for less - sans the extras - and also had time for much more seeing and doing, versus returning to the ship and heading out again.

Search this Thread