Vigo, Spain and Ponta Delgada, Azores

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our transatlantic cruise stops at Vigo and Ponta Delgada. If we don't take a ship's tour what should we plan on doing, We are an older couple.
Old Apr 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM

we are going to the same spots as you on the norwegian sun. we plan on taking a local taxi and having a look round the island of sao miguel, especially visiting the village of sete cidades and the volcanic lakes.
we are waiting to dock in LaCaoruna and then take a trip to Santiago de Compostela as it is only 55km from there compared to 75km from Vigo. We will not be taking a ship's tour as they are expensive and waste time on shopping and needlessly long lunches. Am looking into options right now.

I think we may just explore the town of Vigo, but I am in the process of finding out if there is a fascinating little village close by that we can get to by taxi.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:01 AM

Ponta Gelgardo..now has a new terminal.. didn't explore it last time,.. first time we and another couple went up to the lake area and then walked around the little town..
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 10:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
YOu can visit Baiona wher Columbus' frist ship made landfall. It is a very pretty town. Also, Pontreveda is interesting. This whole area,, the Rias Baixas is filled with scenic islands and towns. It has Celtic influences and history.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 07:50 PM

We have just made arrangements with Gary's taxi service on the island of Sao Miguel and I am going to ask him to take us to Baiona and Pontreveda if we have time. Being a retired grade four teacher, and having had taught the explorers' soc. st. unit, I will find Baiona very interesting.