URGENT: Cruises-n-More - Info Please???

Oct 19th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

URGENT: Cruises-n-More - Info Please???

Hi all,
Am hoping for some help please!
I have a cruise booked but have been given a MUCH lower quote with Cruises-n-more. It's almost final payment date so although they have a $75 cancellation fee it wouldn't really affect me as if I need to cancel after this date I would use my insurance.
Anyways, the quote is $300 less than what I'm paying and my current agent cannot match it so my question is - has anyone any experience with this company?
Have read a few bad reviews but am very tempted!

Thanks!!!
Oct 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM

I booked a Baltic cruise with them that I took this past July.

I had no problems with my booking. Right before final payment I saw that my fare had dropped, so I contacted my agent. I was able to get the reduced fare with no problem.

My booking also came with OBC and it was credited to my account with no problems.

I believe they are very busy in the number of cruise bookings they handle, so your agent may not respond as quickly as you'd like (especially when you're trying to jump on a price discount), but everything else was handled ok.

Just make sure you go over your final invoice carefully, though this is true with any agency, not just this one.
Oct 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks chepar!
I was really wary of them to be honest but this is a large amount of money to be saved - even with losing a bit on the conversion of the first deposit back to € it would still be a fair amount of money to be saved.
The only thing that's keeping me from jumping at it is the reviews and the fact that my original agent is nice to deal with and I was hoping to have her try for an upsell for me nearer the cruise date but I'm not sure the agent in Cruises-n-More would be that interested in doing this for me ... although I could be wrong.
I just need a bit of convincing I think!
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM

It is nice to have a reliable, real agent available if you have trouble on your cruise. $300 is not much of a reduction. Cruise bookers and cruise lines have a way of making money regardless of what they charge. If you are otherwise happy, I would sit tight. You won't be seen as a chump if you paid a few cents more.
Oct 19th, 2009, 11:47 AM

I just returned Saturday from a Princess cruise I booked with Mary at Cruises n More through Cruise Compete. I had ZERO problems, a little uncertainty at the price at first (it ended up being lower, than estimated) I asked about a discount near final payment time and she responded that what I had was the lowest price available. But .... I was in for a nice surprise when I checked in. I was upgraded from Emerald deck 8 (port outside-obstructed view, mid ship) to Baja Deck 11 all the way to the starboard aft with a balcony I called my cave) This happened at the last minute. This caused a tiny bit of confusion as my name did not appear with the new cabin yet. I did have an OBC and that was applied to my account just fine. If they are the best price, I would not hesitate to book through them.
Oct 19th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies! I raelly am tearing my hair out with this one - I can't seem to make a decision to save my life

hpeabody, was it Marys doing that you ended up with the upgrade??
That was a LOVELY surprise!

I would absolutely love to get an upsell but even sticking with my original agent I know that's only the luck of the draw but this is kind of whats keeping me from changing my booking to CNM ... when you were dealing with Mary was it very much after final payment you were on your own or was she helpful ... what I'm trying to gauge is would they be any good at looking for an upsell for me down the line.

I know, all guesswork ... am really driving myself mad with this now though (need a 'red faced smilie' here!)
Oct 19th, 2009, 04:58 PM

Mary was pleasant to deal with and there if I needed anything. I am a little bit experienced in booking cruises and cruising, so I don't need much from the booking agent. I usually do a lot of leg work and research before booking.
As for the upgrade.. I really think the upgrade was a VERY last minute luck of the draw.
Oct 20th, 2009, 02:13 AM

Have booked several cruises using cruisecompete and I believe this on-line agency was one of the quotes each time. Look very carefully at the cost - it may save you $300 or it may not. Sometimes these on-line quotes are quite difficult to decipher to get at the real total - some include taxes, port fees, fuel surcharge, etc - and some do not. They tend to hid these deep into the booking process. I have booked all but one of our cruises with an on-line agent - so I actually think they can be great money savers sometimes - just make sure you know what you are buying.
Oct 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM

I have booked cruises with this company and always got a valid cruise ticket. It isn't an agency to "hold your hand", but price is what I book for, needing nothing else.

With ANY booking, pay with a credit card. Get the cruiseline booking number and verify that directly with the cruiseline. Simple. If a problem, immendiately contact your credit card and dispute the charges if need be. Contact the booking agent as well.
Oct 20th, 2009, 06:47 AM

Cruises-n-more is a very long-established, reliable agency. They'll take good care of you.
Oct 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi hpeabody and gail, BQ and triathlete!

hpeabody, this will be our 5th cruise and each time I have used an online agency with no problems but, like you, I always have the legwork done. I have however changed my mind on cabins and categories on the last cruise and the agent I dealt with was wonderful - got me a GTY suite (ended up in an Owners Suite!) for LESS than a balcony and got me OBC because of this AFTER final payment! ... Unfortunately she no longer seems to be in business
I would like the option of trying for an upsell and I suppose this is what is niggling at me.

Gail, Thanks so much for your advice. I was also a little wary about the price so I have had the agent confirm in writing that the price is TOTAL and includes all taxes fees and charges. The only difference between the CNM agent is that they charge a $75 cancellation fee for the cabin but because we are so near final payment that would not really be an issue for us unless it is something unforseeable that happens and then our insurance would kick in.

The first agent said that if the price dropped after final payment that it would be up to NCL but she would 'do her best for an upgrade'. - I meant to say in my first post that I also found this agent through Cruise Compete so have had no prior dealings with her - she just seemed pleasant to deal with (although she lost a cabin I asked her to waitlist - she said it was NCL that never held it?).
The second agent said that nothing could be done if NCL drops its price after final payment.

BQ - Good to know you've used them - that definately gives me some reassurance and your advice is always appreciated!

triathlete - Thank you!

Now for the update - I e-mailed the first TA last night (I'm on European time) to say I wanted to cancel with her and I also e-mailed the CNM agent to tell him I wanted to book. Isn't it typical I heard back from the CNM agent but not the first one, and I still haven't heard from her. Anyways, I have given the CMN agent my details and credit card payment so am just waiting for the confirmation from him and the cancellation with the first agent. Was hesitant to book with CNM before hearing back from the 1st agent but didn't want to lose the price and I figure if there's any problem I have paid both using my cc so can dispute - hopefully there won't be any problems though.

Thanks everyone for all your help, I really really appreciate it! ... I can always count on Fodors to help me see the wood for the trees

Thanks all!!!
Jan 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM

I have booked two times with C-n-M. My agent is Tyler (ext 108) and have been very very happy.
Jan 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Where did this post from 2009 come from? Fodors gremlins at work again?