Uh-oh, my passport has expired

Feb 19th, 2001, 09:00 PM
Redcurls

Uh-oh, my passport has expired

Please tell me I WON'T need my passport for a Caribbean cruise I'm taking next month. I just realized my passport expires in March and I'm not sure I could get it renewed in time.

Feb 20th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Parrot Mom

Sorry, but you will.. Thre are two ways to think about it..this is not the busy season so they may process it promptly if you tell them when your departure date.. or you will have to pay a special rush processing fee...which would you rather do..miss the cruise or pay the extra $$

Feb 20th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Pudgey

You might check with your travel agent. Some cruises to the Caribbean only require a certified birth certificate and a picture I.D. Or, check in the back of your cruise brochure, it will tell you what type of identification that you will need for the cruise you are taking.

Feb 20th, 2001, 05:17 AM
Karl

If your from the states you do not need a passport. We went to the Western Caribbean over Christmas. You will need a birth certificate with a raised seal however. If you don't have that or a passport you will be in trouble.

Good luck.

Feb 20th, 2001, 06:18 AM
Melanie

It may depend on where you are sailing from. If you are a US citizen sailing from any US port, including San Juan, you probably don't need a passport. We've been on four cruises, three without a passport and on one of those, my name on the ticket didn't match any of the other documents I had -- guess they could tell we were honeymooners! (I had the marriage certificate just in case...but didn't need it.)

But, every cruise brochure I've ever seen spells out what you will need for documentation.

Feb 20th, 2001, 08:40 PM
Redcurls

I AM a US citizen and the only non-USA ports we will go to is St Maarten and Nassau.(The other ports are Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands) I do not yet have my cruise documents and I never had a brochure for the cruise. Wouldn't a recently expired passport be better than NONE? The cruise leaves March 31, the passport expires March 29. To re-new, you need to send in the old one and I'm hesitant to do that just in hopes I'll have it back in time.

Feb 20th, 2001, 09:09 PM
dana

I went on two cruises before, and although I brough my passport, I was told that my birth certificate would have been adequate. However, as my passport expires this April 1st, I too am in the position of having to renew it, but I didn't know that you have to turn in the old one, and furthermore, I have a completely differnt last name now that I got married a couple of years ago, so now I'm really confused as to what to do when I board in VAncouver B.C. in July! I was told that a birth certificate would do it, but that's not my same name anymore, then
they said they would have to give me a hyphenated last name, but i don't have a hyphenated name. This whole process is such baloney sometimes! But if I were you , I'd bring some form of modern i.d., and not an expired form, as to spare you any hassle.

Feb 21st, 2001, 04:22 AM
K.R.

Redcurls..............You will be just fine as a U.S. citizen and w/the ports you mentioned. Just bring your expired passport, your birth certificate (W/raised seal) and a current drivers license (or state issued ID)

Feb 21st, 2001, 04:43 AM
Melanie

Sorry Redcurls, I wasn't quite specific enough. I meant the initial port of entry (Miami, San Juan, wherever). The cruise line will handle all of the 'foreign' ports.

By all means, get a cruise brochure, there is a world of information in it that is good to know before you go.

Feb 21st, 2001, 09:00 AM
Scott

You should be able to get your passport back in 4 weeks without paying any extra fees. Just put in a note saying that you are leaving soon (give the date of your departure) and they will get it back to you.

Last time I did that they had it back to me in 10 days.

As for expired passport or renewal, you send in your old, they stamp it "cancelled" and mail it back to you along with the new one.

For name change, you have to send in your marriage certificate (original) and they will change it for your new passport.

Feb 21st, 2001, 09:22 AM
ali

you are in luck! all ports you listed allow a birth certicate for entry. There is only 1 or 2 ports in Caribbean which require a passport. I haver gotten a passport and have been to Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands, San Juan, and even COSTA RICA which is in central america. The problems occurs when someone has a birth certificate issued from the county or hospital where they were born. these do not have a raised seal and are what most people get. The one with the raised seal must be obtained from the STATE where you were born and has a fee for issuance. These are not given out at the hospital - that is a different document. I have seen people try to board ships with these only to be turned away! But no need for passport!

Feb 21st, 2001, 12:04 PM
Billy

Hi Redcurls,
You got a lot of good advice in the posts above, and you probably won't have any trouble using your birth certificate (raised seal) for your upcoming trip. Assuming, that is, you have one lying about the house. I tend to agree with Scott; however, get the passport. As a frequent world traveler, I feel there is nothing more reassuring than having that small blue document in your hand when approaching a customs/immigration kiosk, regardless of the county.
Cheers and enjoy

Feb 22nd, 2001, 09:48 AM
DonM

I just renewed my passport and it only took two weeks to get the new one back. Since you have a month, you have more than ample time. Send it out today!!!!

Feb 25th, 2001, 08:37 PM
xxx

Too bad your not Canadian, it only takes a week to get a passport.

Feb 28th, 2001, 03:23 AM
BoB

On a cruse ship, in the Caribbean, you only need ar raised seal birth certificate and a photo Id. And thats the truth.

Feb 28th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Anon

I have a funny story: We have been to the Caribbean at least twenty times (cruises and vacations). Always brought just our birth certificates and photo ID's. About 8 years ago, the night before our trip, after two hours of frantic searching, found our (my husband and mine) birth certificates in an old beach bag, only now they were watersoaked, tinted green, the raised seal was flat, and worst of all, the ink on mine had DISAPPEARED! In a panic, I REWROTE the info on mine in a fadey handwriting (no, I didn't alter my birth date!). Figured it would be better for officials to see something rather than nothing in the blanks...

Did not have any problems at all, then or in the years since. Once, an immigration officer (upon our return to USA) rolled her eyes and said, "Isn't it time you get a passport??"

Now, I know I was crazy, but I rationalize it this way: the most trouble you will have is re-entering the US, not entering small Carib countries. If you carry driver's license, business cards, and LOOK very American, they will know you are a citizen...they are good at what they do and probably can spot a phony a mile away.

Don't worry, redcurls, have a great trip. Remember, you belong here!

Mar 3rd, 2001, 05:55 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Redcurls,

I am a travel agent and can tell you your expired passport is OK for all Caribbean ports. If your ship is porting in Columbia or Venezuela and you get off the ship try not to get arrested.

Paul