SEA SICKNESS REMEDY

Search

SEA SICKNESS REMEDY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SEA SICKNESS REMEDY

going on southern caribbean cruise new year's week - 1st time cruiser- prone to motion sickness when flying - what's best - bonine, patches, sea bands???? opinions appreciated!!!!
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 03:50 PM

Don't panic. I've used the patches and they are great! You'll barely feel the motion though because of the ships stablizers, so I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm so excited for you and know you'll have a blast...
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 04:04 PM

I vote for the seabands. I used the patch before and had a bad reaction. Women sometimes are overmedicated because the patch comes in one size.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 05:34 PM

I would go armed with everything, and work up as you need it. I know most remedies work better if you take them before you are sick, but you might not need anything at all. Patches available by script from your MD only.

I get seasick just thinking about water, and I used the seabands. After a day, they got annoying so I took them off and never got sick. Bonine/Dramamine are good, but make many people drowsy - Bonine a little less so than Dramamine. Also, alcohol with either is not a great idea. Patches are good because they deliver small amounts of similar medication more slowly, so most people get less drowsy.

For me, seasickness is in in my head - both physically (in the inner ear) and psychologically - I expect to get sick so I do. So just having an arsenal of remedies was a comfort to me and I suspect had something to do with me not getting sick.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 05:43 PM

For some people patches do cause a problem..I tried the bands..not that great....One remedy is to buy at the health food store ginger tablets (remember when you were sick you got flat warm gingerale).. and I've been able to find Sturgeron in Bermuda which me go through any storm that comes up...
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:57 AM

I agree with starting with the "lighter" remedies and working upwards. I was amazed at the effectiveness of the chewable ginger tablets. When you get that woozy feeling, just pop a tasty ginger tablet (mine from the health food store were called "ginger trips&quot and they quiet your stomach almost immediately. I shared them with the others in my group and everybody used them.

The patch is good if you're seriously prone...but it gives you incredible drymouth, and it affected my vision. After I removed it, for two days one of my pupils was dilated...which gives that blurry effect you get at the eye doctor's office...no big deal though, and much better than "worshiping at the porcelain throne"!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:15 AM
Jed

My wife and I cut a patch in half. It always works, without side effects.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:14 AM

I agree with Jed. Cut the patch in half, and use as directed -- changing the half every 3 days. I am a person who gets sick in the back seat of a car, but the patch allows me to go cruising . . . MY FAVORITE THING IN THE WHOLE WORLD!
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:13 PM

Any antihistamine helps a lot. Just get a non-drousey one. When all else fails start drinking it balances you out!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 04:56 AM

I get sick in wave pools! Have been on 4 cruises and used the patch each time and it works great. We had a real rough day at sea one time but I just laid down briefly and it passed. It was funny though because it was like the ship was deserted! Everyone was in their cabin or in the ship's infirmory getting Dramamine! Did get blurry vision one time though but nothing serious. Also it helps if your cabin is in the lower part of the ship more towards the middle. Less chance to rock n roll. Have a great time. I'm going again in February!
Old Oct 24th, 2003, 06:56 PM

To those who cut the patch in half:
I asked my pharmacist and a nurse friend about doing this, and they both said the same thing: that the patch is time-released and by cutting it open you're changing the delivery system, and thus possibly affecting the timing/effectiveness. Have you noticed this? Did the patch continue to work for 3 days?
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 08:29 AM

I had a killer head cold on my cruise and also got seasick (I don't know about those stabilizers- I was on the Infinity and it was rockin and rollin). Went to the ship's medical office and got Bonine. Worked like a charm.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Jed

Joan - I know that the patch is not supposed to be cut, but we did it, changed it every 3 days, and were fine.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:50 PM

I wore the seabands through the tail end of a hurricane in the Atlantic and although I wasn't perfect, I could ate and keep it. (Too bad for my clothes&gt

The ginger trips sound very interesting. I'm going to try them on my next trip.

Also, if the pool is open, use it. that helps too.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 05:42 PM

I have tried everything. Ended up in sickbay on the Princess. Dr. gave me an intermuscular injection & I never had any further prblem. Going on another 14 day cruise in Jan with Princess. The shot is best guven before you sail so I plan on getting it as soon as I board.
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 04:05 AM

mrsez--

I have been cruising for 25 years and ALWAYS use Antivert- a perscription drug (pill) gotten from my doc..You take it the morning before you get on ship and 2 X day while on ship...

WE have travelled thru some extrmemly rough waters where the dining room was emptying out like flies, and we never got sick...I have used and recommended this drug for years..It is an Anti -vertigo drug- hence the name, Antivert...
It DOES work..

The patch can sometimes make people woozy or nauseous..The bands do not work very well either...
Old Dec 7th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Anayone wanting to use the patch should try it out before counting on it as the only remedy. It works well for about 85-90% of people but not at all for the other 10-15%. (I found this out the hard way on a very rough overnight on the Skaggerack - I had to remove the patch, shower and finally Dramimine worked - better sleepy than sick.)
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:07 PM

A huge second for the ANTIVERT! I have always suffered from motion sickness (although my brothers always thought it was a ploy to get to sit in the front seat). Two years ago I had vertigo and the doctor prescribed Antivert. Took the leftovers on my next cruise and they worked fantastic. Since then I have asked the doc and she gave me a prescription with no problem. Enjoy!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:54 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I just have to tell of my experience with the patch.

Several years ago my sister and I took our 91-yar-old mother on a Carribbean cruise. My sister insisted on outfitting mom with the patch before we sailed.
After the first night she was disoriented and delusionary. WE were becoming more and more concerned about her, took her to the ship's doctor and he ripped off the patch. He told us this is a common side-effect, especially in the elderly or infirm.
As for Anti-Vert. Yes. I have suffered from middle ear dizziness (Menliere's Syndrome) for years, but because of Anti-Vert, I have never been seasick on nearly a dozen cruises.
Check with your doctor.

love
joan
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Arm bands and Gravol Ginger Tablets which are a natural source - no chemicals. I find they work great. Just got off the Princess Grand and I do get motion sickness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -