Reload this Page >

Train vs bus in skagway

Search

Train vs bus in skagway

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:00 AM
Lisa

Train vs bus in skagway

trying to decide on taking the train or the bus in skagway? Have heard the train is nice but very slow. Have heard that the bus lets you off for scenic view spots. Any opinions?<BR>Thanks.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:05 AM
john

I took the train a few years ago when on a cruise. It was a couple of hours and when it got to the end, turned around and came back the same way. We went in Sept. so there was no snow. It was quite scenic and if you like trains it will be nostalgic. You can always go on the bus in another port if you are on a cruise. I believe the train ride is available only in skagway for the cruise itneraries. Don't worry about what seats to pick as people move around during the trip. I stayed in the rear most of the time

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 03:51 PM
Fran

What you have been told is correct. During that evening back on the ship it did seem to me that those that went on a bus enjoyed it more as they did stop and get out and even played in the snow.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:21 PM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Lisa,<BR><BR>The train ride is great but it does not stop and you will have to read the signs as you go along for the history of the area. This ride is great for the narrow gauge old train buffs.<BR><BR>If you take the bus you will take in quite a few additional sights. If you wish a private tour by van (not a new van) you can hire an old history buff who lived in Skagway all his life. He is great and not that expensive. His name is Dyea Dave (Dyea is an area not his real first name) and you can reach him at 1-907-983-2731 or he hangs out at the Gold Rush Lodge 1-907-983-2831 (they know how to contact him there during the day). Or leave message, he will call you back. You will not miss anything with Dyea Dave.<BR><BR>Have fun,<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Irma

We took the train and enjoyed it - it was a package deal, taking the "water taxi" from Haines. There are cars set aside for "cruisers" & "independents". If you're going to be on the train at lunch time, buy a box lunch in Skagway, there's not much being sold on the train.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 08:30 PM
jhodg

In July,2001 we took the Whitepass train up to the summit, and then the bus down the other side of the valley with several stops for photos and a fun stop at Liarsville mining camp where they had a short cute show and panning for gold. It worked out to be a very pleasant trip.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Catherine

We also did as the post above and agree that is the best of both worlds. Make sure you sit on the left side going up as the right side is a mountain and you cannot see anything. You are looking over the person's shoulder on the left side.