Celebrity Summit Ship

Search

Celebrity Summit Ship

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Celebrity Summit Ship

I am looking into booking a Mediterranean cruise with Celebrity Cruise Lines. The itinerary that I like is on the Summit, cruising out of Venice. I can't seem to find any current reviews on the Summit. I understand it is an older ship and has not been updated in years. Has any one sailed on this ship recently who could give me a review of it's condition?.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM

I sailed to Alaska on the Summit July 2006. It was by far the worst cruise I have ever been on and I have sailed in excess of 20 times. The dinner menus were so limited and boring that I asked to be served the special Vegetarian Indian food that the people at the next table had preordered. The entertainment was terrible and I swore I would never go on another Celebrity cruise again Oh, did I mention that every few years or so that the ship just breaks down in the middle of a cruise and you are just stuck wherever for extended periods of time? go online and reserch Celebrity ships breaking down. They have some problem with their rotor system I believe. I am sure that other people may disagree but we sailed with a group of seven people and I was not alone in my opinion. I am sure that you can find an itinerary that you like on a different cruiseline. They pretend to be a step above other large cruiselines but you would probably be better off on Royal Caribbean.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I really didn't have good feelings about this ship.

Happy sailing!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM

I took the Summit to Alaska in 2007, and it was excellent. The service was great, the food was quite good, and the ship got through everything fine (no mechanical problems). Now, the Summit does have pods, and that has been an issue for all the Celebrity ships at some point or other, but our experience on the Summit was excellent. The service (of the 5 ships I've been on) was really, really excellent (really nice people worked on that ship), and the entertainment, lectures, etc were also quite good. If you care about the art auctions - they weren't that good....
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:53 AM

I am uninformed about cruising. Please, what are pods?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:27 PM

I haven't sailed on the Summit, but I've sailed on Celebrity's Millennium and am looking forward to sailing on the Infinity later this month. Can't wait to sink into that Thalassotherapy pool, inhale their wonderful almond croissants, and watch the world go by. Ahhh. I love Celebrity!

From a cruise travel site: "In mid-2000, Celebrity launched the first of its four 91,000-ton "Project Millennium" ships (four sister ships: Millennium, Infinity, Summit and Constellation)... These ships signaled the beginning of a new era of technologically sophisticated cruise ships, including innovative, more environmentally friendly, gas turbine propulsion systems and pod propulsion systems that make a ship far more manueverable."
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 12:17 PM

I haven't cruised Celebrity but I hear more and more negative reviews, especially about food. Food used to be a pride of Celebrity when that French chef was in charge. Looks like now is has fallen below RCI and Carinval. I sure understand food is very subjective, but my friends who are not picky recently sailed Millennium and told me food was the worst they ever had on any cruise. They liked the ship itself and service though.
Old Apr 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM

We went on the Summit through the Panama Canal in 2006. I had been concerned because of some occasional negative reports but we really liked the ship. It is smaller than the new mega-ships but we found it had all we needed. We also found the food fine. In fact, I found some of the spa food really good. However, it was the first time we had cruised in about 15 years and we haven't been on other ships recently so take my comments for what they are worth...
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:28 AM

Hi lynnford10,
My daughter is currently on board the Summit. They are currently transatlantic and will arrive in Barcelona next Thursday with several stops along the way. She says the ship is beautiful and she has eaten some of the best food ever in the specialty restaurants and she knows food, having traveled extensively and worked in an exclusive French restaurant in Chicago. She is a lead singer and has been on board since the beginning of March. They have had no mechanical problems at all. (I believe the ship was in dry dock for a complete update last year in 2008). She says even her tiny crew cabin is very clean and comfortable. Since she started working for Celebrity I have talked to several people who have sailed on the Summit recently and have had a wonderful time.
Have a good trip.