Reload this Page >

Take the Shore Excursions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Cheryl

We are cruise novices, two families each with one 15 year old daughter traveling last week of March on Adventure of the Seas. Should we go with the excursions from RCCL or try to do stuff on our own? Going to Aruba, St. Martin, St. Thomas. Interested in snorkeling, some sightseeing and some shopping. Appreciate any suggestions.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Gail

We always find it a LOT less expensive to do things on our own. You also get to go by your own schedule that way. However, in Aruba we took the ship's jeep safari excursion and had a great time. After the jeep ride around the island they took us to DePalm Island for some fantastic snorkeling.<BR> On St. Martin we love to just take a taxi to Orient Beach and spend the day there. On St. Thomas we also like to try the different beaches. You can snorkel right off shore at Coki Beach. Or you could take the ferry over to St. John for some good snorkeling.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Cheryl

Thanks for these ideas. Is there time to catch a ferry to the British Virgin Islands from St. Thomas? Any idea of where to catch it and how long it takes? We have a pretty long day at St. Thomas so thought this might be possible as we have been to St. Thomas several years ago.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Gail

I haven't heard of any ferries to the BVI from St. Thomas and don't know if you'd have enough time. The ferry in Red Hook and Charlotte Amalie goes to ST. John. You could take a taxi to either location and take the ferry over to St. John. There are several beautiful beaches there.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Vic

Most ships offer a trip to St. John including snorkel gear. At least you know that they won't leave without you.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Cathy

Tortola will be the only island in the BVI you would have time to ferry to. You could do it, but it would be involved. <BR>I looked up in my St. Thomas tourist bur. guide for 2001, and round trip from Charlotte Amalie to Roadtown, Tortola costs $40 per person. The trip is 45 minutes each way. You could get the 8:55 am ferry out. Daily from Roadtown back to St. Thomas is only at 12:30pm. You could get a ferry from West End at 3:00 pm back to Charlotte Amalie.<BR><BR>Tortola is fairly undeveloped, with fab beaches, but I recommend that you save Tortola for another trip. St. Thomas and St. John have beaches just as wonderful and with the time and money you would save, you could see and experience so much more.