Star Princess vs. Zuiderdam

Old Feb 26th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Princess vs. Zuiderdam

I am planning an Eastern Caribbean cruise on either the Star Princess or Zuiderdam. I would love to hear your feedback on which is better suited given the following parameters.

Weather - Zuiderdam sailing in Sept or Star sailing late Oct

Family union for ages 60+, mid 30's, and children below age 8.

Food, Service, Entertainment, Ports of Call, Children Activity, Cabin Size and Amenities(either inside or oceanview), and overall general "feel" of the ship.

I look forward to your input.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:20 AM

HAL is known to not have as an extensive children's program. I have sailed both ships you are thinking of and I would pick Princess for a family reunion.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 12:11 PM

I, too, would pick Princess, though I have never been on Zuiderdam. I was on Star Princess, and it was spring break week. The kids were very well taken care of in their ship activities. I was really impressed!

By the way, if you can get a cabin with a deck, ask for Caribe deck (10) as they have the largest balconies on that deck.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:35 PM
MMSF

I would pick HAL. They also have an extensive kids program. Princess charge for ice cream. The nickle and diming would run up the cost sky high on Princess.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:04 AM
MMSF

At the second thought, late September might be hurricane season. Some areas are out of hurricane belt, don't know exactly where's safe. Check web.

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Hurricane season is really in it's fullest from the end of August until the first of November. Last year the last hurricane hit in December. It doesn't mean you would ever be faced with one, but the chances are high during those times. The only islands out of the belt are the ABC islands....Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.