St. Marten-Beach???

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:38 AM
BUDDIE

St. Marten-Beach???

We will dock at St. Marten. All we want to do is go to a nice beach close by the ship (a short cab ride) Any suggestions??

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Sue

You can go to www.sxm.com and get lots of information about the island.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Cathy

There is a beach right at Philipsburg, where the cruise ships dock. It is a pretty beach. But I never want to get in the water at a beach that has lot of boat traffic and is next to or in a town or city. I am always concerned about boat pollution and sewage from the town.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Gail

It's not a really short cab ride, but it's worth it--Orient Beach is gorgeous. It's about $10 to get there.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 12:14 AM
Paul Therault

As a note of interest. Orient Beach is not a family beach. Mostly topless and some nude.

Paul

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:29 AM
buddie

Semi-nude is okay i guess; but what I really want to know is if it is nice and swimmable, no heavy wave action. Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 11:34 PM
Paul Therault

I believe it is rated the best beach. The nude section is fairly well isolated similar to the beaches in France.

Paul

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:40 PM
Cathy

Hi Gail!
To Orient Beach - is that $10 per cab or $10 per person?

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 05:54 AM
Gail

Hi Cathy,
It depends. They have some taxis that are like mini vans. If you can find other people going and get a van the fee can vary. We paid $10-per person as it was just the two of us.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:41 AM
linda

Orient beach is a must. It will not be as crowded either because it is longer than others. The eastern part of Orient (near hotels) up near Tintamarre is not nude, but all beaches on French side have topless sunbathing. It is prohibited on Dutch side (though I saw it)

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Cathy

Has anyone been to Pinel Island? That is supposed to be in Orient Bay. How developed is Pinel Island - bathrooms, beach chair rental, etc?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 11:08 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Cathy,

Ilet Pinel I know is not developed and there are no excursions or ferries to the island.

You could rent a boat, with or without a crew but if you are on a cruise I wouldn't chance it.

Paul

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Bob

Paul, I went on an excursion with Royal Caribbean to Pinel Island. Not much to see on the island. Snorkeling was so-so due to the choppy sea conditions. but the cruise ships do offer a shore excursion to Pinel Island. Once back on ship, our table mates told us that they went to Pinel on their own and it was cheaper and quite easy.

Not trying to be mean, but, Paul, do you get off the ship when you cruise? Do you take the shore excursions? I think that if more travel agents would really travel and see the places they are selling, they would be more effective and people would not complain about them as much.

Old Feb 16th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Albert

Went to Orient Beach about 7 years ago. Great body surfing -- but substantial surf. Once I was picked up and smashed into the ocean floor, probably a ten foot drop -- took a few minutes to want to get back in. Good beach, but not for a casual frolic in the surf.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:22 PM
Paul Therault

Bob,

Cathy asked if there was an excursion to Pinel. I know about the snorkel tour. I know the island is not developed. My associates on the island tell me there is no excursions to spend time on the island. If it is not developed why would there be? And why would you choose Pinel to snorkel when you can snorkel at Shipwreck Cove for a few bucks more and have a better experience?

I have been on too many excursions on too many islands. Most of my time is not snorkeling but diving. My afternoons are spent inspecting hotels and resorts.

There were only two cruises I never left the ships. RCCL Explorer and Voyager since there was too much to see and do on the ships.

What else now?

Paul