Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

St Kitts......What do you recommend we do ashore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our next cruise in April has a stop in St Kitts. I've looked at all of Celebrity's shore excursions and none look too interesting. I also read my Fodors Caribbean book last night about this island. Again, nothing seemed like a "must do". We like to stay active and are NOT the bake on the beach type. Any recommendations?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 07:55 AM

St Kitts is a beautiful island and the countryside is gorgeous. I would do anything that had to do with touring the rainforest, visiting the fortress, etc. I would avoid anything having to do with snorkeling. The island has been in the path of numerous hurricanes and there is very little coral reef, if any. We did the kayak trip and snorkel from the beach and the snorkeling was awful. Nothing there but fire coral and that, you don't want to touch. The kayaking part was okay but I would have enjoyed a tour a lot more.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Check out the old fortress at Brimstone Hill. This is interesting, especially if you know/care anything about history.<BR>The ships tour, in addittion to the fort, takes in a botanical garden and will still leave you enough time to spend aroud town, which is pretty interesting itself.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:00 PM

Lenore - we were in St. Kitts six months ago and its a wonderful and beautiful island. What we did was hire a taxi for the day. It cost us about $110 with tip for eight hours for all four of us. He took us to the Fort (Brimstone Hill), the botanical gardens, the Carabelle Batik factory (wonderul, colorful fabrics and clothes - kind of like tye dye) and then took us to the beach to see the monkeys and enjoy the sun and surf for a few hours. It was great, inexpensive and much more than you'd get with the ship's excursion. The taxi's are lined up where you dock. Just make sure you agree on the price before you start and make sure the taxi is air-conditioned.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Good advice everyone.....thanks! Does anyone know if there are any waterfalls on this island? It was mentioned briefly in the Fodors book, but it never really pinpointed where is was or how to get there. We love to hike and explore, but need a little guidance. Any ideas?