South Pacific Cruise help!

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Pacific Cruise help!

So we're considering many options for a getaway later this year, and a new one sprung to mind: a 10-14 day cruise in the South Pacific islands. Based on what I looked into so far, there is a Princess 10 day cruise available in December. Need advise on:

1. This is our first cruise -- should we not be picking this one to start with? Pro's/Cons?
2. We're early 30's -- I'm worried we'll be in an older or family crowd. How likely is this on the South Pacific cruises.
3. Is this cruise worth the money? How different is it from a Carribean one? Do the islands really look that much different?
4. I've heard of Regent cruises being much better --- thoughts?
5. Good time of year to go? Bad time? Weather in Dec or Jan?

Thanks a bunch!
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:19 PM

We have cruised to the Caribbean four times, Tahiti and the Society Islands once, and Hawaii once. The main difference is that Tahiti, etc. is much less commercial than the Caribbean or Hawaii. And it is slighly more beautiful in my opinion, especially Bora Bora. But if you've never been to the Caribbean, it also has its beauty and is undoubtedly cheaper. I personally think Tahiti is worth the extra money, however
There is no comparison between Princess and Regent. If you have the money, take Regent. You will have an unforgettable experience. It is a smaller ship, tips are included, as is wine at dinner and most water sports equipment like kayaks.
There were all age groups on our Radisson (Regent) cruise, although slightly more older folks. Don't recall many families.
We were there in February, so can't comment on December, but I suspect the weather there is pretty much the same all; the time.
Go and have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:49 AM

That ship is actually rated very well. Its the Tahitian Princess I assume. We will be on that ship in August for that cruise. In a recent poll in Conde Nast traveler mag it was rated 5th of all the medium ships, barely behind two from Silverseas and two from Radisson which is now Regent. Bear in mind these other lines are much more costly. However Dec. is summer in FP and it will be at its warmest and wettest then. In fact Dec./Jan there gets the most amt. rain. Someone I know went to Tahiti in Dec. and didn't like it due the the weather then. Its no the best time.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:51 AM

check out this link for weather there throughout the yr.
http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...919&refer=
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:45 AM

Take Regent's Paul Gauguin. Of course, it will spoil you forever. Some consider it one of the great cruises in the world, partly because of the location. If you'd like the name of a terrific TA (and agency), who does give discounts on Regent cruises, drop me a line. I have sent many strangers to her, and they all rave. [email protected]
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM

My husband and I took a cruise on the Paul Gauguin in March of 2006. It is a wonderful ship. We prefer smaller ships and this fit perfectly. The itinerary was good and great shore excursions. Previously we sailed on the WIndSurf in 2005 and loved it as well but they do not do the South Pacific anymore. The Paul Gauguin will spoil you for anything larger. Such personal attention, wine free with dinner (good wine too!). Free sodas at the bar, free bottled water, our mini bar was restocked every day with whatever we wanted (free) and we also received a free bottle of Vodka(our choice of spirits) and a free bottle of wine - which we never got to since there was such great wine at dinner. While in port at one of the islands, the Tahitian Princess was docked next to us. The Paul Gauguin has 320 passengers and the Princess held I think 800 - 900. It was interesting to compare them. I would imagine that the Princess is cheaper but the Paul Gauguin is worth every penny.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Another thing I loved about the Paul Gauguin was no formal nights, no phony "theme nights" which larger ships have, casual elegence is how they describe it. NO jeans and shorts in the dinning room but no ball gowns either. Also loved the fact that it was open seating for meals. If you wanted to sit by yourself you could or if you wanted to share table with others you could do that as well. Hate that assigned seating and eating time. There was a mixed age group on our cruise from the 30 and up. There were no small children, no rock climbing walls, no tennis courts, no golf ranges either but there was plenty to do.

I wouldn't go to South Pacific Islands in the summer as it could be quite hot and rainy. Best time of year is early on in the year and yes I think there is a definite difference in islands of between the South Pacific and the Carribean The Society Islands are less commercial, more laid back and casual - expensive so being on a cruise is helpful in that respect. Good luck in deciding.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Fabulous part of the world. I would definitely choose the Paul Gaugan and try for one of their specially priced cruises (we had free air). The nice thing about the Paul Gaugan is it includes so much more than what you'll get on Princess. There are quite a few younger people and honeymooners onboard and very few families. I'd recommend a pre-cruise stay as well to have a chance to relax from the long flight to Tahiti. We were there in January and had wonderful weather (very little difference in temps during the year so any month is OK). It is an expensive trip but well worth it IMO.
Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 01:44 PM

December is the rainy season in Tahiti. Best time to go is July-August, their "dry season." It's cooler and not as humid. That said, I would go in December , or any time! It's truly paradise. And I, too, recommend Regent's Paul Gauguin. One of the finest cruise experiences to be had on the planet.