Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Snorkle gear available to rent for a week on board??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:27 PM
barb

Taking the Dawn Princess Nov 3rd cruise and we're planning to organize our own tours. Since we'd also like to snorkel, can we rent gear for the week from the Princess line??? I thought I heard somewhere we could. Also do you know what the charge is??

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 12:41 PM
Bob

As a scuba instructor my answer is DON'T. For what it costs to "rent" simple equipment like this you can buy and KEEP your own set. The fins and snorkle take up almost no room in your luggage since they are flat and I usually put my mask in my carry on. My biggest reason is hygene. To "sanatize" the masks and snorkles they dip them in a bucket with some disinfectant ...sounds OK? Now think of it this way, after they've done a few snorkels there is disinfectant and saliva, etc. in that bucket. Enough said? <BR>I do like the idea of finding your own snorkeling tours. Good Luck and enjoy the cruise and beauty of the undersea life!

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Jennifer

Barb -- I agree with the above poster re: cost/sanitization of snorkel equipment. However, the answer to your question is that, yes, snorkeling equipment can be rented on board for the whole week.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 03:17 AM
Mike

Anyone know of an inexpensive means of renting a snorkel vest? You can rent them by the day, but I'm looking at the same type of thing, and would want it for the week. I saw one in a store for $60, which is too steep for my liking, especially for three of them. <BR> <BR>Mike

Old Oct 12th, 2001, 09:37 AM
SHARK

I would NOT use anyone elses snorkle. Try Diversdirect.com. They have gear for everyone at all price ranges. If money is tight, buy the cheepest snorkle and rent the mask & fins.