Sightseeing in Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 09:44 AM
LN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sightseeing in Skagway, Ketchikan, Juneau

Hi All

A cruise has been booked on Carnival's Spirit in September and now I'm concentrating on the many and varied excursions you can take in each of these areas.

Which ones did you enjoy and find worthwhile? There's so many I could really use your input. Please help....
LN
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

Scroll down on the left hand side and click on "Are There Formal Nights on Alaska Cruise."

I gave an outline of some of the side trips
Percy
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 05:54 PM

My standard answer is to look carefully at all that is offered and pick what appeals to you most. Good luck, Larry
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:11 PM

Good advice jacketwatch because there are sooooooooooo many different tours to take.!!
Percy
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:54 AM

Thanks percy. Sometimes tourists manage to do moe than one tour per day so if you can thats a bonus. Cheers, Larry
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 12:17 PM
LN
Original Poster

Hi again

Have any of you taken the Magnificient Misty Fjords Flightseeing tour?

Percy, the White Pass Railway tour looks quite interesting and scenic - think we'll book it!!

For Juneau - the Mt Roberts tramway???
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 04:23 PM

LN

I would do the Whitepass again anytime.
It is s nice scenic ride.
Make sure to go outside and stand between the passengers cars.

Yes the Tramway is nice but also see the Mendenhall Glacier... you should see this huge field of ice .

Percy
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM
LN
Original Poster

Yes, I forgot to add Mendenhall Glacier Percy and it is on my list. I'm deep into internet sites right now trying to decide between a boat whale watching tour or the seaplanes that go out to the Misty Fjiords.

This can be overwhelming!!
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 06:47 PM

LN

If you have to choose between the whale wathcing and the Seaplane to the Misty Fjords............then

hands down it is the Misty Fjords.

You can always see whales in other places....also you just may NOT see and whales on the boat tour !!.!!!
But

The Misty Fjords. Ahhh!!! what a site.
Percy

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM

My hubby and I went to Alaska on NCL's Vision of the Seas 2006 and did it on the cheap. We didn't do any of the excursions offered by the cruise line and opted instead to wing it when we arrived.

We had a fantastic time wandering around Skagway - found an extremely fun video arcade next to the laundromat with old school, sit down game tables, while searching for the grocery store in town. We didn't spend a lot of time there, but it was neat to be able to get off the beaten path a bit to visit with the locals.

We took the bus up to the Mendenhall Glacier - it was parked right outside the port in Juneau. I think it was $20 round trip for the two of us and we could come and go as we pleased (although always keep in mind what time the boat leaves - once it's gone, you are in trouble). If I remember correctly the suggested fee for the visitor's center was something like $2.50 and well worth it. We have some terrific photos from there.

You know, I have to correct myself. We did the connecting train ride from Seward into Anchorage. The scenery was beautiful, but we were seated next to a very loud and boisterous group; something I wasn't prepared for at 7:00 am. That experience, dampened though it was by others, was still amazing. Well worth the extra $$ for travelling a scenic route to somewhere we needed to get to anyway.

This was my first cruise and I was so excited to visit the cities. If we go back we will likely do more of the excursions, but for a first timer getting to see somewhere new was enough for me.

Hope that helps a little!
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 05:27 AM
LN
Original Poster

It all helps a lot.

Thanks for your kind assistance everyone and I'm getting anxious for our cruise.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:46 PM

Just got back from a cruise visiting those ports. Loved Harv and Marv's whale watching in Juneau...very initimate with only 6 people on each boat. Then we loved Temsco's helcopter pilot's choice...would chose that over the flight plane as my husband did both. Have fun....we booked our excursions by ourselves....no problem getting back to ship as these are very small towns and everyone deals with cruise ships...expect 3-5 in each port.