Reload this Page >

side-effects of reducing a tip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Justin Bateman

I read that on Carnival ships they automatically add the standard tip onto your sign and sail card. I also read that you can have this tip adjusted by doing so at the purser's desk. I heard that sometimes they try to tell you that the computers are down or some other line of BS to prevent you from doing this.<BR><BR>My question is, if you don't wait until the last day and you have the purser's desk eliminate all tips from your card, do the staff know? I don't want to do that if the cabin steward or waiter will know and give me crappy service thinking that I won't tip them.<BR><BR>Does anyone know for sure?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Carl

Sorry I don't know for sure. But I imagine that in today's way with computers and all that the workers will probably know who has eliminated/reduced tips. I would also be leery of doing that for fear of poor service.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:23 PM
luv2cruise

First off, I am not a fan of automatic tipping. I know Princess & NCL do this. I have been on 3 Carnival cruises in the last 2 years & this was not their policy at the time. Are you sure they went to automatic tipping? A friend of mine was recently on NCL & was so unhappy with the service, or should I say lack of service, she had her tips adjusted. <BR><BR>I read this on another board - toward the end of your cruise go to the pursers desk & have the tips cut in half. On the last evening, give the balance in cash to the waiter (busboy, steward, etc.) if you've had exceptional service. It seems that the staff pools tips so your waiter may not get what you are actually giving. This way, he ends up with cash in his pocket & has his share of the split. When you fill out the paperwork for the adjustment, don't say you weren't happy with the service if you were. Say you're not happy with the system.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Badboy

According to the Carnival line, tipping is supposed to be at your DISCRETION, and as a guideline they suggest the following: Waiter: 3.50 per day per gst<BR>Room Steward: 3.50 per day per gst.<BR>Asst. Waiter: 2.00 per day per gst.<BR>Tipping your maitre d' and headwaiter is<BR>at your discretion. For your convenience, you may also opt to prepay gratuities for all personnel for a total of $9.50 per guest, per day. This business of the line adding the tip to your sign and sail card is way out of line. I like what luv2sail says, and I will opt for that on my next cruise.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:59 AM
xxx

It is pretty clear to me that since some of the ships went to the tips being automatically deducted, the passenger gets screwed. I have noticed lower levels of service. I believe that the workers know exactly who has adjusted their tips. I also believe that the workers will thus give you crappy service, assuming that you will not leave any additiona tip at the end.<BR><BR>I am fearful to modify tips early in a cruise and I wonder if the computers will miraculously crash and be "down" on the last day when someone might want to modify a tip.<BR><BR>How is the best way to handle?

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 12:48 PM
see

I think this posting goes hand in hand with the otherone about the pride. Those responses should be applicable here.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 07:56 PM
dana g

<BR>We haven't had any problems with auto-tip. First on the late, lamented,<BR>R4 in Tahiti. The wait staff rotated among dining rooms at different times,<BR>so it was hard to direct tips to a specifit person. The service was outstanding, so we left it at the standard charge.<BR><BR>In March, we were on the Carnival Spirit, had excellent service from the<BR>cabin and dining staff, and left the auto tip as well.<BR><BR>I don't think cutting it in half and giving in cash to the stewards makes any difference. If they have to pool, they have to pool their cash as well as their auto-tips.<BR><BR>My biggest gripe what that Carnival activly solicits tips for the maitre d.<BR>Puts notes in the daily newsletter urging you to tip him, puts a special envelope in your cabin for his tips.<BR><BR>If he does something special, for you, fine. Otherwise, what for? On one cruise, I managed to smuggle in a lovely crystal box without my husband knowing it. I brought it to the maitre d', he <BR>put it on a nice plate, nestled it in a bed of lovely napkins, filled it with fancy petit fours, and delivered it to my ( surprised ) husband on my signal. Of course, he got a good tip.<BR><BR>But for announcing tomorrows meal times and leading the conga line, no tip.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 12:58 PM
higgins

To the original poster, Master Bateman: So you are trying to get a freebee? Don't want to tip, but don't want the service to slack off: Geeze, is everyday your birthday???

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Holly

Did the Carnival Spirit 12/01. Had the 2nd best waiter in over 30 years of cruising. Asked his preference wich was $$. Went to pursar's off and removed tips around the 3rd day. Got excellent service from dine room waiter and the absolute worst service from cabin (cat. 11 ) steward. We tipped according to service received. Dine rm + 150% and cabin steward 50%. Remember TIPS=to insure prompt service. If service staff can not live with what the cruise lines are doing/can not make a livable wage at their jobs its time to change jobs just like for the rest of use wage slaves.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
TerenceEnriques

Well, if you plan to eliminate all tips from your card, you should be upfront about it and do it as soon as possible. That way the staff won't have to waste any extra effort on you and will be able to give better service to those who deserve it.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:20 AM
BBT

NCL posted to the Cruise Critic site on the NCL message board regarding the automatic tipping and how it works, the benefits and how the staff get their cut of the pool. Makes for very interesting reading. It is under the topic of 'Norwegian Cruise Line tipping scam!' or something close to that.<BR><BR>Personally, I like the automatic tipping, and have not yet seen any real change in service level. But that's me.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Ohbrother

Automatic tipping is just a way to hide the actual cost of the cruise by the lines.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:05 AM
Paul Therault

Automatic tipping is better since you do not have to scrounge around looking for the correct change to fill your envelopes at the last minute. You can adjust the tips to your desire at the information desk, no questions asked. Takes a couple of minutes.<BR><BR>Tips are not pooled. The staff generally responds positively to the automatic tipping. Works out better for them. <BR><BR>If you wish to tip extra simply ask the information desk for envelopes that you can throw in a few extra dollars for excellent service. Hand them personally to the staff on the last evening.<BR><BR>Al Carnival ships now have the automatic tipping. Crew does not know before the week is up that his/her tip has been adjusted or eliminated.<BR><BR>It is an American custom to tip for a job well done.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 01:25 AM
P.A.P.

Paul this would all be true provided the following:<BR><BR>1. In order to adjust your tips you need to get up at the crack of dawn to go to the pursars desk<BR> a. becasue that is when you get your final billing.<BR> b. they are large ships and there is usually a huge line for price adjustments.<BR> c. they have the correct forms or personnel that can help with this.<BR><BR>So with this in mind is automatic tipping so great. Sure it is if you work for the cruise lines. You are now assured a decent wage no matter how you perform. Is it good for the traveler, maybe not.

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:29 AM
snorkelman

I just got off the Carnival Pride a few days ago. Yes, they automatically add the suggested tips to your sail and sign card. However, you can adjust these suggested tips up or down (or have some or all of them removed). <BR><BR>On the last day at sea I went to the purser’s desk (no line if you go during the first dinner seating) and requested to adjust my tips. They gave me a sheet of paper to fill out. It listed all of the tips in a different manner than the document that you get in your cabin. <BR><BR>If you just look at the document in your cabin you will see one section for “dining room team.” I called the purser’s desk and asked what that meant and they told me it was the waiter and busboy. However, when I actually had the sheet from the purser’s desk to adjust the tips I saw that the dining room-management was also included. I decided to remove this part of the tip. <BR><BR>I heard some people talking about removing the 15% gratuities that were automatically added to each drink that they ordered. An interesting idea, but I did not reduce those tips.<BR><BR>So, yes, I reduced the dining room management before my last meal at dinner and I noticed no service change.