sick children

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Evie

sick children

Both of my children are coming down with something. We leave for our cruise in 2 days and do not have cruise insurance. Should we bring our children with their flu or cancel our trip?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Erick

The air is recirculated on a cruise ship. If your kids have any airborne illnesses, they should not go on a cruise. They will get many other passengers sick. It is beyond me why people bring kids on a cruise anyway. Leave them at home and go without them.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Daddy

That should teach you to get the cruise insurance next time. Don't be so cheap.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Faina

Evie, I believe only a pediatrician who knows the children for years can tell you what to do.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:24 PM
anon

I don't mean to sound harsh, but why on earth didn't you purchase the insurance, especially with children? As far as bringing the children; ask yourself this: Would I want my family exposed to a nasty virus while we were on a cruise vacation. No one ever thinks they'll need the insurance until something like this unfortunately happens.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Peter

I don't think giving Evie the advice that she should have purchases insurance is very helpfull - I think she know that and doesn't need to come here to hear it.

Put me in that spot and I'd take the kids anyway. The most contagious state for any flu is before the flu actually strikes (I believe - I'm not a Doctor). Taking them on an airplane and then a ship shouldn't be a threat to the other people - the only concern would be how sick (tired, weak, etc) the children are feeling.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Alien

Has an alien taken over Peter's body? That is the nicest thing I've ever read (though admittedly I haven't been reading for that long) posted with Peter's name on it. Then again on this site I could be Peter too if I wanted.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 08:51 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Evie,

Sad to hear of your dilemma.

I would listen to Faina and take your children to their pediatrician.

I for one would certainly not take a chance with a sick child on a cruise. Especially if they have a fever. Just the flight alone may may make them pass-out. If the children get very sick on a cruise are you ready to send them to a foreign hospital? You may spend quite a bit more than what you lost on the cruise attempting to get them off a ship and fly them home. Fight connections from foreign countries may not be an instant thing.

All of what I said may be unfounded. They may not be that sick at all. See what their pediatrican has to say.

Good luck,

Paul