Shore excursions on New England Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering which excursions to take on shore. Do it on our own or the ship's?
Will it be easy at Newport to get a ticket and tour the Breakers if we wait till we arrive?

Also the Duck tour. I see it is cheaper to get your own ticket than the ship,but then getting to the Prudential Building where it stops would entail you getting your own transpo there. Is this so popular you should book before going?

Thinking of doing the trolley in Halifax Tickets at the dock?
Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:44 AM

AS a Bostonian.. let me answer.. the Duck Tour is a MUST, I would order tickets ahead of time..because afteryou get off the tour you can have a nice lunch in downtown Boston, see Copley Square, Newbury Street..all at your leisure.In Newport..go to the Visitors Center and buy a tickets to the houses there and there are trolleys that I believe will take y ou. Halifax.. my favorite little city..beautiful.. What you can do is hire a taxi driver at the port along the waterfront.. and I know this will sound strange, but the highlight of our first visit there was the driver taking us to see the resting place of the Titanic Victims..then a tour and let us off at the Cidadel. for the changing of the guards or whatever at noon and .picked us up when we called and dropped us off at the ship.. Second time... we took a Duck Tour..definetely too smelly a waterfront..Halifax is a beautiful college town of hills and greenery.. with a lovely garden downtown. when you get off the ship there are many vendors in the Pier and a tourist kiosk to help you..
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your help. I am going to book the Duck Tour from the ship. I realize it is more expensive,but the ship provides all the transpo needed as well as getting you back to the ship by 4pm when they leave so it is not a long day in Boston.

I will wait on Newport and go to the Visitor center. Probably will just do The Breakers. We may go downtown to the Tennis Hall of Fame as that is an interest of min.

Haven't completely decided about Halifax yet-may do the trolley or the horse drawn tour or the taxi as you did.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM

HALIFAX.. many people go to Peggy Cove...the problem being that the fog comes inand you can't see much..The only way it might be of interest is that you do not live by the ocean. Hope you have some time to at least walk around Copley Square after the Duck Boat...it's a beautiful area
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM

In Halifax, we took a taxi to the Citadel. We really enjoyed it (and the soldiers wearing kilts are worth the trip alone ;D )

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/index_E.asp
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:57 PM

IF THEY HIRE a taxi at the pier.. they will take her to the cemetary and then in time for the noon changing of the guard at the Citadel...