Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Shore excursions in Grand Cayman, Montego Bay...

Shore excursions in Grand Cayman, Montego Bay...

Feb 4th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Shore excursions in Grand Cayman, Montego Bay...

Any interesting shore excursions in Montego Bay or Grand Cayman...non-shopping?
May 22nd, 2007, 03:28 AM

In Grand Cayman we loved the swimmimg with giant stingrays. Boats take you out to sea and all surround a sand bank.You then step off the boat onto the sand bank (water approx. waist high) and the stingrays swim all around you.
May 29th, 2007, 03:27 AM

yes, swim with the rays in Cayman! In Jamacia think about Dunns River Falls. Know the ship will have a tour there. You should be able to look up the ship's tours on line to give you more options. We hate Jamacia, often only go to the shops or beach right at the pier.Or, don't even get off the ship!
May 29th, 2007, 04:13 AM

Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman is the most mentioned excursion - and it lived up to its popularity. It is one of the coolest things I have ever done.

Touristy? - yes. Crowded - yes. But still great. Was advised here to do trip on own with operator other than ship excursion. We did ship excursion for a variety of reasons. Cost more, but was fine.

Our excursion included 2 ocean stops - one with the sting rays and one to snorkel over a reef and then to a beach for lunch and some sun.

The sting rays swim all around, their wings brushing against your legs. You get to feed them squid from your hand - they suck it off like a strong vacuum cleaner. Don't need to be able to swim - you can stand. The snorkeling part required some swimming, but they had snorkel floatation vests. All equipment included.
May 30th, 2007, 12:49 PM

In Monetego Bay, contact Carolyn Barrett at Barrett Adventures:

http://www.barrettadventures.com/

Do Mayfield Falls intead of Dunns. It's closer, and quite uncrowded. Dunns will be a mob scene with your ship in port.

Carolyn is wonderful. Has lived in the Caribbean for 20 years and knows all sorts of interesting tidbits about Jamaican life. You won't be disappointed.
Jun 27th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Stingray City in GC is THE MUST DO! My husband and I were there for 7 days in May, and that was the most awesome experience! We went on Capt. Marvin's boat; they have a scuba videographer who makes a dvd of the excursion which you can buy for $60; for us having a live replay of the experience was well worth the cost. We didn't get to go to the reef that day (current too strong) but we made other snorkel stops that were really gorgeous. Tip: follow the videographer-- he or she knows what to look for and will try to find the most unusual or dramatic things for the dvd!

Don't bother with going to Rum Pointe unless all you want is a nice place to relax under the trees and swim in calm, beautiful waters (I know, that sounds like I'm making a case to go!!). There is not much to see in the way of snorkeling, it can be very congested when cruise ships are in, and it's not worth missing Stingray City for!

Search this Thread