shore excursion--need reccommendations

Old Nov 2nd, 1999, 07:17 PM
Lois

shore excursion--need reccommendations

Planning on going on Norwegian Dream southern caribbean in December-- what shore excursion are worthwhile/better avoided/better done on own? Please HELP

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 06:14 AM
merriem

What ports are you going to be in?

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 10:01 AM
karen

Hi Lois: We did the southern Caribbean cruise out of Aruba. We visited Curacao, Grenada, St.Lucia, Barbados,Margarita Island. Is this the same itinerary you have? In Barbados you could rent a car its a great island to travel around by yourselves. Write to the Barbados Tourist Board and they will send you a great book called Out in Barbados. Also the fodors book has great driving routes. The last time we were there in April, we went on a catamaran excursion to Sandy Bay Beach and snorkling at Folkstone Underwater Park.We also went to the Boatyard Bar in the evening its a great place. In St.Lucia the shore excursion to the Pitons on a catamaran with lunch included a trip to Soufriere and Diamond Falls is one of the best ship tours we have ever taken, its costly $75 but worth it. We took the tour to Annadale Falls in Grenada it was nice. In the afternoon we took the boat taxi to the beach, its beautiful but you will be pestered, politely but pestered.There is a bar called the Nutmeg near the Caranage that has the best Rum Punch , but be careful of the stairs on the way down! Neat telephones near the dock to phone home. Great spices, wait until afternoon to purchase as the price goes down. Margarita Island we went to a beach on an excursion it was through Restinga lagoon kinda neat but not for everyone. Great deals on pearls, and others said the seafood was good. Some said the excursion to Playa Agua(?) was very beautiful. Nobody liked the shopping excursion unless they spoke Spanish well. On Curacao we rented a car and toured up to Westpunt and stopped at many of the little beaches ect..In the afternoon we went shopping. We especially liked the old fort district and stopped at a few of the spots there for a drink. We are not big shoppers. In the evening we walked along the dock and got some beautiful night pictures. Our favorite Caribbean Island is Aruba. We have spent a week there besides being there to depart for a cruise. DePalm Island is good, The stretch of Palm Beach to Eagles Beach is great lots to do as far as water activities and lots of live bands etc.. The downtown is lovely. Feel free to use the bus system it is safe and cheap and reliable! When arriving for our cruise we boarded the ship then took a taxi to the Holiday Inn and spent the day going from spot to spot along the boardwalk. This is the best beach you find on your cruise, Grand Anse in Grenada would be another one not to miss. This itinerary is so perfect because you get a great blend of beaches, rainforest and history. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Feel free to e-mail directly. [email protected] Karen

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 11:07 AM
Mark

I have to agree. Aruba is great. The bus system is easy to use. The beaches are gorgeous.

Don't miss Grand Anse Beach in Grenada. One of the most beautiful that I have ever seen. There are many vendors, but they are not very aggressive. Taking a water taxi is an adventure in itself.

Old Nov 3rd, 1999, 03:34 PM
Sandy

Lois: We're going to be on the Dream for the Southern Carribean trip in January (the route is SJ to St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Croix, St. Thomas, etc. (is that the same on you are on or are you on the other route?) Could you give me a report when you get back? It would be GREATLY appreciated as I've heard mixed reviews of NCL and the Dream - any first-hand experiences (positives and negatives) would be welcome. Wishing you a great time. Hope to hear from you in December!

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 10:51 AM
bboyer

Sandy,
We sailed on the Dream last March on the same itinerary you will be taking. We had never been on a cruise before, and if you've been reading cruise forums, you have probably noticed that veteran cruisers often have different opinions than first timers. With that in mind, here are my opinions.

We didn't really find anything to complain about on our trip. The ship was clean, the service was quite good. The food wasn't exactly 5 star quality, but certainly quite acceptable. I spent a small fortune at the art auction, but enjoyed every minute of it. Fortunately, my husband went with me, or I would have spent much more!

We enjoyed every port, but preferred the scenic beauty of St. Kitts the most. I don't know if you are travelling with children, but if you aren't and might enjoy a rather festive excursion, we really enjoyed the Jolly Roger sailing in Antigua.

I wrote a rather detailed review (read lengthy) shortly after we returned. You may read it and many other posts at www.cruiseopinion.com.

One recommendation I would make concerning shore excursions is to pick up a Carribean travel guide (I have three - 2 for cruises and one for the Carribean in general, but I'm the type to research at great length). It will help you decide which excursions might suit your interests. By the way, we found that taxis were often waiting at the cruise ship dock upon your arrival. It was easy to hire one. We liked to explore that way, rather than travel with a large group of our fellow passengers.

Have a wonderful time on your trip! We enjoyed ours so much we are booked on the Dream in March on the Aruba route.