Shipboard Credit, how can I get it?!

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shipboard Credit, how can I get it?!

We're sailing in March on the Constellation and I booked our cruise through Celebrity's website, and for payment I called them directly. Since I did not go through a travel agent, is it possible to get shipboard credit? Our cruise totalled over 5K. I know that the cruise lines pay a commission to travel agencies, and since I "saved" Celebrity that cost, it would be nice to have a $100.00 or so to use on board. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on this? Thanks, Lori
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Nothing to stop you from asking, but it is my understanding that RCCL/Celebrity do not offer discounts to travel agents. When we booked Celebrity cruise for last February cruisecompete website returned only a few quotes and all were identical. (Unlike experience booking with Princess for this summer when we got quotes all over the place, some with and some without on board credit)
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM

Unfortunately, you don't get onboard credit just for asking, or for saving Celebrity commissions. They offer it on select sailings during sales. It is also too late to transfer your booking to travel agent. Hint: book your next RC or Celebrity cruise on board, and you'll get onboard credit. Better yet, transfer your booking to a TA, and you may get more.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, great ideas and tips! I will definitely look into booking our next cruise while onboard. I am a Captains Club member having sailed only once before with Celebrity about 4 years aog. I have not received anything in the mail from them in over a year. I used to get mailouts from them offering the credit but it has been awhile. I will take your suggestions and maybe get lucky next time. On a side note, do you know if you can buy your "soda cards" in advance or do you just order them onboard? Thanks Gail and Spurs! L
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 07:54 PM

my travel agent does get a commission but from the cruise line and it is off the top,,,so we don't save any money booking thru her or thru the line,,,it costs the same no matter what...
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:01 AM

We booked out next cruise on board last weekend and got a $200 credit on RCCL. Would probably be the same with Celebrity. I asked the same question about the travel agent and the "future cruise consultant" said that it was a common question and they are looking into trying to do something about it, however it is a touchy subject with travel agents.
On RCCL you have to buy your soda package when you get on the vessel because they put a sticker on your sea pass card. Probably works similarly on Celebrity, only ever have one card with all your packages soda, wine on it.