seasickness on smaller ships ?

May 22nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

seasickness on smaller ships ?

We are in the process of booking a med cruise for september with another couple.

Most of the itineraries we like are on smaller ships (ie oceania,azamara).

My husband is adamant against the smaller ships because #1-he believes it will move more and we'll get sick etc etc. and #2-five yrs ago we went on the celebrity
milleneum which he loved.

We've been somewhat at at standstill until this morning when this couple emailed me a cruise they liked on the Oceania.

Before I tell my hubby I'd like some info: Will we get sick on a
smaller ship and is the Oceania a
good choice( we will have a balcony)?

Thank you very much
May 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM

Hi hope

let us be 100 % honest about this.

Yes !! You willget sickon a smaller ship.
Never mind that some people will say, that they were on a "smaller" ship and in rough waters ,and they did not get sick.

I was on the Grand Princess...about 3000 passengers in the Mediterranean and the waters got very rough between Marseilles Frances and Bracelona....
at
the 6 PM dinner in the Dinning Room,only half the people were there because of the motion of the ship...and this was a large ship.

You sit at the dinner table ,beside the window and you see the water splashing up high along the sides of the ship as it sways from left to right.!!

I was okay ( which is no big deal and means nothing) because two in our group of four were wondering if they should begin their meal ..or head back to the room and lie down.

Let us see what other have to say
Percy
May 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM

Oceania is a good choice. However the ship is small. We were on an identical ship the Tahitian Princess which like the ships in the Oceania line was acquired from the Renaissance line when it went belly up. The dimensions are the same, about 32 k tons and about 594 ft.in lenght or much smaller the the typical cruise ships today which go about 1000 ft. and weight in at about 110 k tons or so. Even in calm seas you do feel some gentle swaying side to side. This was OK but the seas did get choppy and my wife did get seasick. I did not so it depends on how you tolerate sea motion. Generally to minimize seasickness get an amidships cabin, the lower the better. Good luck with your decidion. Larry. Hi Percy. we leave in 2 days for the Caribbean on the Adventure of the Seas. Yah mon.
May 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM

Hi jacketwatch

I leave Monday for Europe.

Have a great safe trip

Percy
May 22nd, 2008, 03:57 PM

Cool Percy. Where in Europe?
May 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM

We have done a trans Atlantic on the Oceania Insignia (Barbados to France) and the first two days were a little iffy, but we just spent time on deck getting air in your face and looking out.

We have also done the Med on the Milleneum and never had an issue. However, keep in mind while the Med is big you sail fairly close to the shore and the water never seemed to get that rough.

In fact when we came into the Med on the trans Atlantic it seemed like somebody flipped a switch because the water got so smooth so quickly.
May 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM

jacketwatch

To Austria,Ukraine side trip to Red Square....over the black Sea to Romania ...Austria...home

Have a nice trip
Percy
May 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM

That sounds great Percy. Enjoy.
May 23rd, 2008, 11:28 AM

I think if one is prone to or concerned about seasickness take precautions no matter what size the ship.Take along some non drowsy motion sickness medication, ginger tablets, wrist bands...all available OTC or get the scope patch from your Dr.

We also had the experience on the Grand Princess..capacity 3000 ..of quite a bit of movement in rough seas. MANY passengers sick.
May 23rd, 2008, 01:41 PM
cd

Regarding seasickness
If you feel you are getting sick, stay outside in the air and sit where you can see the horizon.
May 24th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Never go on any cruise now with out ginger tablets available at health food stores.. I take one as I stepl on board and every meal..It;s the same concept of flat gingerale.. I also drink mint tea which the ships have, but I also carry my own.. and have been able tobuy Sturgeron in Bermuda.. small ships, big ships.. JUST GO
May 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info.
I've convinced hubby over the weekend and we are booking the azamara med cruise in sept.

I will definitly pack all the meds and those ginger tablets sound interesting.
Jun 9th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Fear of seasickness is nothing new to me. I discovered Bonine years ago and have found it to be more effective than Dramamine or the patch. I take it once a day, every day on a cruise and it's a non-drowsy formula. I never travel without it, land, air, sea. Always take Bonine.
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

We just came back from a cruise on a motorized sailing ship for only 60 people. Two nights got rough, but the crew handed out the patch in advance and we found it worked very well. It "dried" us out some, but that was preferable to drowsiness, whick is a side effect of some of the other medications. I believe in ginger tablets for less turbulent conditions.