Search

Sea Sickness??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 12:50 PM
Janet

Sea Sickness??

I have heard about bracelets worn on both wrists to stop sea sickness. Has anyone tried them and do they work? <BR> <BR>We will be taking our first cruise next month. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 12:58 PM
hamlet

I haven't tried the bracelets but I've been on cruises with people who have.... for some they worked and for others they didn't. I don't know what the reasons might have been. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 04:26 PM
Kris

Don't know about the bracelets but 1/2 a Bonnine/meclizine works for me and I have a definite tendancy toward motion sickness. They do make some people drowzy but didn't bother me.

Old Aug 24th, 2000, 06:41 PM
Keely

They're actually wristbands, not bracelets. Supposedly they work because they massage the main acupucnture point that directly affects your nausea center. I haven't used them, but friends of mine have and say they work. However, I have massaged that point on my wrists for nausea and it has had a good effect. I can't describe the point to you, but I bet you'll find it with a little snooping on the web for acupuncture points.

Old Aug 25th, 2000, 08:19 AM
Landsick

We didn't get seasick but we DID get 'landsick' ! No problems on the ship but when ashore everything seemed just TOO 'stable' causing light-headedness etc. I have spoken with others wh have experienced this. Most Bizarre.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 02:19 PM
Louise

Hi Janet, <BR>I tried the wristbands, dremadine (not sure of spelling)and neither seemed to help. But I seem to suffer with extreme motion sickness. The ship's doctor suggested I come down to the main deck or lower of the ship and that seemed to help me. My cabin was high up on the Penthouse level at the rear of the ship. Next time I am staying lower on the ship and midship. I've been told that helps. I also plan to get the ear patch next time. Have a good cruise.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 09:54 AM
dunca

Janet, ginger capsules are great if you don`t want any drug side effects, they are sold at all health food stores, start taking 2 a day a couple of days before you board. I also get bothered with land sickness after a cruise so I continue to take the ginger for 2 or 3 days post cruise, good luck and happy sailing.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 09:57 AM
jean

Janet, ask your doctor about "Antivert". It's by prescription only. Works very well for me and does not cause drowiness.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 11:13 AM
Rees

There was an article in the NY Times about sea sickness a while back, and it recommended both ginger capsules and the wristlets which are called Sea Bands and press against a pressure point. Haven't tried either but Times reports they work.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:41 AM
Janet

Thank you everyone for your replies. <BR> <BR>I have the Sea Bands, non-drowsy Dramamine and a prescription from my doctor for the behind the ear patch. <BR> <BR>I will also pick up the ginger tablets. <BR> <BR>I think I will start out trying the ginger and Sea Bands and if I feel sick I will switch to the drugs. <BR> <BR>We leave on Sunday, Sept. 17. Thanks again.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 10:32 AM
Debbie

I have been on over a dozen cruises, I always use Dramamine, except once when I tried the wrist bands...it was the only time I got sick!