SanDiego-Hawaii Cruise- MS Zaandam

Jul 8th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

SanDiego-Hawaii Cruise- MS Zaandam

Hi,
My wife and I are considering an Oct. trip. We are looking for comments on the quality of the cruise and the scheduled tours. Some reports have said the furnishings are "tired" but other than that the food, service etc. is fine. The travel time is 8 sea days. Is this part of the trip too long? We have never been to Hawaii before.
Thanks
TKing
Jul 8th, 2009, 07:02 AM

I have done this cruise with HAL and thoroughly enjoyed it. The sea time depends on how much you like cruising - we love time at sea and there is plenty to do if you want to get involved or you can just relax and enjoy. If funiture is a little "tired" we don't care in fact we don't notice that sort of thing as long as the ship is clean (and after 300 days with HAL I have yet to sail one of their ships that wasn't clean). The service and food are always excellent. If you haven't been to Hawaii it is a great way to get a feel for the islands and see which one you would go back to if you wanted more time there. I highly recommend this itinerary but only you know if 4 days before and after is too much "relax" time for you.
Jul 8th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
Under normal conditions,how would you rate the Pacific conditions from SD to Hawaii in Oct? Calm,Choppy, Sea Sick etc.
Thanks
Tking
Jul 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM

We have done that crossing twice - once in September and once in June. Both times the ocean was calm except for a day or two of choppy but not rough. We always carry bonine (meclizine) but have only had to use it on the way to Antarctica. It doesn't make you drowsy and really works. Its a good insurance policy - just knowing you have it - just in case!
Jul 9th, 2009, 05:11 AM

We toured the Hawaiian Islands on with Norwegian Cruise lines for 7 days. We planned our itinerary ahead of time and rented a car on each island. It was fantastic. We flew in and out of Honolulu and added a couple of days to visit that island. If you only have 8 days, I am not sure you will have time to cruise across the Pacific and tour Hawaii.
Jul 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM

cathy - what TKing is referring to are the 4 days on the way and 4 days return - the cruise itself would be at least 15 days.