Reload this Page >

??s about Trip Insurance/Pre-X conditions/

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Claudia

I read back thru the archives and found many informative posts concerning the need/use of Trip Insurance. We did not purchase this type of insurance on our first cruise (3-day Bahama) last year; however, now we are looking at a 7-day Alaska next year and considering the events in September...interruption of travel is definately a grim reality. (we've been fortunate in the past to not have any problems with our travel plans.)<BR><BR>That said, I have a few specific questions (perhaps Paul who knows much about trip ins can help me out here) concerning the different insurance companies out there. We have been offered TravelGuard, Access, and Celebrity's coverage. <BR><BR>1) If I pay for the trip insurance with my cruise deposit (and I am doing my own airfare) am I right in understanding that a)Celebrity will only cover my cruise portion if something happens and I am on my own for my air; b) both the independent companies will cover my air and cruise.<BR><BR>2) If I am doing my own air and do not purchase it until 90 days before my cruise is this part of my trip included in the insurance coverage?<BR><BR>3) Is an Alaskan cruise considered "outside" the country for medical coverage purposes?<BR><BR>4) Lets say I'm not pregnant now (when I buy the insurance and book the cruise) but 3 months before the cruise I become pregnant. Is this a covered medical condition? Is this considered a pre-x? At what point do pre-x's start? Is it a condition you have prior to purchasing the insurance OR immediately prior to commencing your travel? (Understanding that I will not be in any part of my 3rd trimester during the trip, if I am...well, the trip is off for obvious reasons)<BR><BR>The medical clauses of the insurance are what is most concerning to me. We have been trying to conceive for over 3 years and have decided we have to go on with life...(not going to put travel on hold indefinately on the off chance we become pregnant) but we will continue to try to have a family and work around whatever arrangements we have made. (hence the questions about when a pre-x is considered a pre-x)<BR><BR>Thanks so much for your help. Not quite sure what kind of response I am going to get here.<BR><BR>CJ

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 10:50 AM
hamlet

Hope I can answer some of your more general questions based on my own recent research on this topic...<BR><BR>If you buy the cruiseline's insurance and book air on your own, your flight will not be covered. Your best bet is to buy a 3rd party insurance and have your flight (whether thru cruiseline or on your own) and cruise covered. <BR><BR>Whether an insurance co says you are eligible to have something covered or not usually depends on when you make full payment on that part of your trip...so whether or not it is 90 days before your cruise isn't really the issue.<BR><BR>Pre-existing conditions are conditions that existed prior to booking trip and buying the insurance. However, after buying insurance and before departing for your trip, let's say you develop a medical condition and need treatment and can't go on your trip - that's covered too, but it's not under the category of pre-exist, it would be just a cause for cancellation.<BR><BR>I'm not sure how pregnancy is categorized, but I'm sure if you chose not to travel and you got a note from a doctor explaining that you shouldn't due to pregnancy, that would pass for an acceptable cancellation.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Toto

Claudia, if you go to www.insuremytrip.com you can compare insurance coverage on all the major carriers. It explains fully most of your questions and you can compare the coverage vs. the insurance rates. Just make sure to buy your insurance coverage within 14 days of booking your cruise to cover pre-existing conditions (which also include problems with family members that aren't even going with you) pre-existing usually means any illness/condition that occurs within 6 months prior to your cruise.<BR>These insurance carriers will also cover your airfare if you book it yourself as long as you include it in the price and check both the cruise and insurance coverage.<BR>Toto

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:36 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>Hi Claudia,<BR><BR>Your pregnancy could never be considered pre-existing unless they consider the twinkle in your eye.<BR><BR>Since the pre-existing condition waiver is compimentary you might as well buy the third party insurance (don't forget, you must buy it within so many days of your deposit to qualify).<BR><BR>Most pre-exisiting waivers also cover all those in your family, not just the traveling party. So if uncle Joe goes to the hospital and you feel you must stay home to care for him, you can collect from the insurance company.<BR><BR>All portions of insurance is important. You would be surpirsed what happens to people on vacation.<BR><BR>Hope you get lucky.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 11:26 AM
sandy

<BR>Ask your travel agent OR look at Travelex: TraveLite. This is the only one I have found that specifically covers things like terrorism and bankruptcy/default by the supplier. They give you 14 days from the day of deposit to pay the premium in order for them to waive the "pre-existing conditions" clause, they will cover your airfare IF you include it in the total cost of the trip.<BR><BR>www.travelex-insurance.com<BR>

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Paul Therault

<BR>There are other companies besides Travelex that cover terrorist's incidence and bankruptcy.<BR><BR>Also, all policies have different coverages. Some are very difficult to understand.<BR><BR>For example: Most will cover trip interruption but some state it must be over 50% of your trip. Some will cover default but will name operators they will not cover (you would have to find this out from the company since it is not printed). Some will cover terrorist activities but only in any place other than the USA. I could go on and on.<BR><BR>All I can say is, buyer beware. Insurance is not what it used to be whether it be auto, home or health.<BR><BR>Paul