River Cruises: Some questions

Feb 19th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

River Cruises: Some questions

Hi, I am looking into river cruising from Amsterdam during "tulip time" I am considering Uniworld, Globus and Viking. The websites and my travel agent are a little vague on how much time you have at each stop. I would hope that in addition to the shore excursion there'd be some time to explore on your own--at least at most stops. Is this the case? And, I would be traveling alone--has anyone done this on a river cruise? Do you think it'd be uncomfortable? Anyone recommend a particular cruise that includes Amsterdam. I have already "done" much of Netherlands, Bruge and Brussels so am leaning to one including Germany/Switzerland. Thanks for your help
Feb 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM

Libby, interesting questions, and I beleive you'll get more replies if you post the same on the European board.
Feb 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi, OK, thanks much
Feb 20th, 2009, 10:05 PM

We are going on Avalon from Basel to Amsterdam on the Rhine this coming May.
I don't know about the weather situation this year, but three or four years ago we were in Holland towards the end of April and the tulips were at their best!
Feb 22nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks. I've changed my plans because I found a cheap cruise to Amsterdam for May 4 and 5th--hope I still see tulips!!