River cruises in Europe

Old Mar 30th, 2022, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
River cruises in Europe

Hello, I was wondering , and would like to know if anyone has took a River cruise in Europe. I had seen pictures of the food and looks like something I would not like. I guess I am a more meat and potatoes type of guy. I do like a good steak. What I am trying to say is I am more accustomed to the food in the states. I live in southern Illinois. You are most welcome to reply, Thanks Larry
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 12:42 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Not sure what photos you've seen (and I've only taken one river cruise so not an expert) but I can't imagine what put you off. Could you elaborate on what sorts of food you saw pictured? I found the food quite good but not daring or unusual or 'weird' -- Some local specialties from the regions we sailed through, some 'conservative' meat & potatoes-type dishes, some vegetarian, some 'gourmet'. Every meal there was a wide variety to choose from -- they do cater to a pretty wide range of tastes/diets.
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 05:16 PM

We’ve taken quite a few river cruises in Europe, South America and in the US and I can tell you that the meal menus on each cruise in addition to more “gourmet dining always included a selection of simpler “meat and potato” options. No worries, you won’t go hungry.
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

River cruise food

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
Welcome to Fodors. Not sure what photos you've seen (and I've only taken one river cruise so not an expert) but I can't imagine what put you off. Could you elaborate on what sorts of food you saw pictured? I found the food quite good but not daring or unusual or 'weird' -- Some local specialties from the regions we sailed through, some 'conservative' meat & potatoes-type dishes, some vegetarian, some 'gourmet'. Every meal there was a wide variety to choose from -- they do cater to a pretty wide range of tastes/diets.
Hello, The food pictures I saw were gourmet sea food. And some kind of a meal that I think was Lamb.
Old Mar 30th, 2022, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Europe River Cruises

Originally Posted by RoamsAround View Post
We’ve taken quite a few river cruises in Europe, South America and in the US and I can tell you that the meal menus on each cruise in addition to more “gourmet dining always included a selection of simpler “meat and potato” options. No worries, you won’t go hungry.
What cruises did you like in Europe. I would someday do a River cruise in Germany, Austria. I would love to see the famous castles. The scenery looks very beautiful as well as the cities. A friend of mine has been twice but not on a cruise. He likes it so much and tells me he would like to go back. Larry
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 11:16 AM
lyn

On the river cruises we have been on, lunch and dinner are normally buffet style, and dinners have at least three choices of entree. And if you are in Germany and Austria you will get more sausage than you can imagine…
Old May 1st, 2022, 03:43 PM
P_M

Are you my husband? You sound exactly like him.

I would like to make a kind suggestion. When you travel the world you are opening your mind to all sorts of new experiences and the same should apply to food. Don't be the American who goes over there and doesn't like things that are different. Sample the local cuisine with an open mind and maybe you'll come home with some new favorite dishes. Trying new foods is half the fun of traveling.

Enjoy your trip!!

Old May 5th, 2022, 08:21 AM

....is I am more accustomed to the food in the states...... Of course you are. We all are ---- BUT --- If that is important to you -- stay home! Tour the US and Canada. Dining on river cruises tends to feature local foods and cuisine. For us, that is half reason we are traveling. I grew up in the west with meat and potatoes. It is boring. I always look forward to the variety on both river and ocean cruises. Of course, I am spoiled. Grew up on a cattle ranch and nobody had better steaks that what we raised ourselves. My great disappoint in better restaurants is the poor quality steaks that they serve. As a result I rarely order a steak at a public restaurant.
Old May 7th, 2022, 06:38 AM

We did an Avalon river cruise down the Rhine several years ago. Although we are adventurous eaters, our fellow travelers (my husband's coworkers) are not and are meat and potatoes people. I don't remember any complaints. On several of the days, we were at a stop for a long enough time that we chose to have lunch in town rather than on the boat, just to enjoy the local flavor. So you will have opportunity to eat off the boat if you choose.