Rhine Cruise Sept. vs December

Jul 30th, 2018, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Rhine Cruise Sept. vs December

Was planning a Rhine River Cruise in December because I always wanted to do the Christmas markets and everybody was telling me the scenery in December is gloomy and bare. So now Iím torn between going in December vs. September when it is green. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Lisa
Jul 30th, 2018, 08:13 PM

You understand the situation. You can only do Christmas markets around the Christmas season. Early Dec will be a weak sun with short hours, maybe snowing, certainly cool to cold and damp. If I wanted to see the Christmas market I would do it by train. And do the cruise in Sept when the weather is much nicers.
Jul 31st, 2018, 09:15 PM

I enjoyed the Christmas market cruise so much I have done 2 of them and would like to do another on the Danube to see Vienna. I preferred Viking to AmaWaterways for the cabin arrangement, design of the bathroom and comfort of the bed. I was only cold on one occasion and that was while visiting the windmills at Kinderdijk in Netherlands. It got too cold and windy for me to stand in line waiting to visit inside one of the windmills but I am from Southern California so not used to cold. One year was so mild that I wore a rather light jacket and not my heavy coat for much of the cruise. I visited the markets by train to different towns 30 years ago and each method has advantages. You just have to decide which suits you better.
Jul 31st, 2018, 09:30 PM

Winter Light

Winter light on Strasbourg Cathedral. Strasbourg, Heidelberg and Amsterdam were my favorite stops along the Rhine.
Aug 1st, 2018, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fmpden View Post
You understand the situation. You can only do Christmas markets around the Christmas season. Early Dec will be a weak sun with short hours, maybe snowing, certainly cool to cold and damp. If I wanted to see the Christmas market I would do it by train. And do the cruise in Sept when the weather is much nicers.
That is a great idea. Thank you!!!
Aug 1st, 2018, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scootoir View Post
I enjoyed the Christmas market cruise so much I have done 2 of them and would like to do another on the Danube to see Vienna. I preferred Viking to AmaWaterways for the cabin arrangement, design of the bathroom and comfort of the bed. I was only cold on one occasion and that was while visiting the windmills at Kinderdijk in Netherlands. It got too cold and windy for me to stand in line waiting to visit inside one of the windmills but I am from Southern California so not used to cold. One year was so mild that I wore a rather light jacket and not my heavy coat for much of the cruise. I visited the markets by train to different towns 30 years ago and each method has advantages. You just have to decide which suits you better.
ok good to know. Iím leaning towards the Christmas markets. It has always been a lifelong dream of mine. Thank you for your feedback.Seems people only have positive things to say about the Christmas market cruises. That picture you posted is absolutely beautiful. ❤️

Search this Thread