Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Upgrades on Princess Alaskan Cruises - Is it Worth It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've booked an Alaskan cruise and members of our party want to do the upgrades at restaurants such as Sabatini's. Is it worth the upcharge?
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 07:20 AM

You get good value for what they charge extra. Food is definitely better quality, and you get more persoanl attention. Is it worth the extra money? It all depends. We cruise on Princess regularly and we don't go to their speciality restaurants on every trip. We look at the menu (and they are posted daily) and if we don't see anything particularly exciting (which is not all that often) or if we have a strong craving for something, then we book in the Sterling or Sabatini or just use Room service. There are people I knew that dine in Sabatini every night ... but that wouldn't be us. You can make reservation for the specialty restaurants while on board. You don't have to decide now. My suggestion is not to do it until you have seen and experience the dining rooms. Some people do it as an "experience" or for special occassion for want a particualr type of food. By the way, which ship will you be on?
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:10 AM

Yes, I think so. Its a great experience at least once. We've done it 3-4 times and I'm not sure we would do it again but I glad we had this experince.
Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:25 AM

As jackwatch say's it is an experience. It is worth it for a that special night and as stated you can just make the reservations once on board if you decide to go for it. Frankly IMHO not that great that you would want to do it every night.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM

ALso, the varieties on the regular dining room is "better" in taht you have more selection. The selction on the specialty restauranst is good but after a few days, you wanted a change. We like to try different things and have routinely do differnt things for lunch ranging from to Sushi, fish and chips, burgers, sausages, pizza, pasta just to name a few things that are generally available on most ships outside of the standard buffet.