Search

Repositioning Cruises

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Repositioning Cruises

Friends!
I was just searching for the cruise or wherever trip to warm places starting as soon as 12/30/2023.
I found the cruises I never knew exist.
repositioning??? one way. I like it. Anything you can tell me about those? Thanks
Old Oct 23rd, 2023, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.vacationstogo.com/ticker...=0&n=0&d=0&v=0

This link shows pretty much all repositioning cruises in December 2023, Jan 2024 and Feb 2024.
Theoretically, they are the cruises where a cruise line moves ships from one location to another for a period of time, often for a season. Example: at some point in late Fall or early Winter, many ships move to the US (Florida, Texas, Puerto Rico, etc. for Winter cruises to the Caribbean, and they move back in Spring to someplace in Europe or the Med for cruises there. Many change from Pacific in Winter to Atlantic in Spring. Since most ships reposition only two or three times a year, there are fewer choices than, say, in the Caribbean at the same time.

1. They are sometimes cheaper per night than other cruises.
2. You still have costs of getting to departure port and getting home.
3. They can be great if you have plenty of time, like sea days and find destinations you will enjoy exploring.
4. They are usually long because almost all crossings of the Atlantic or Pacific take 7 days at sea and many ships try to include some ports at the beginning or end of cruise, so it is not uncommon for it to be 12-15 days, repositioning to/from Europe, much longer and more expensive if the cruise line turns it into a long, more exotic cruise.
5. TA crossings can be chilly in early Spring or late Fall. You would have to check weather in other places.

We have done only one repositioning, years ago, 15 days from Ft Lauderdale to Rome in April. We had 7 days at sea, then five stops in Spain, France and Italy. It was warm as we left Florida, but jacket weather most of the trip. At your time of year, December - February, consider carefully where the cruise will be and the weather, the ship, ports, etc.