Any experience on Antartica xxi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father has been thinking of Antarctica cruise for years but concered about seasick while crossing Drake Passage, I just found out Antarctica XXi (www.antarcticaxxi.com) does flying to King George Island then cruising, but falied to find any feedback of past passengers by googling.

Does anyone have info/experience about this company?
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:29 PM

I don't have any info on that but if you have read any of my posts regarding the cruise you will see that we crossed Drakes passage when it was like a mirror. We have gale force winds in a different area though. I carry meclazene (Bonine) and have never been sick. I was giving it out to people who were sick and it fixed them up. Just tell him to take it along and take one in the morning whether he needs it or not.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the reply, I will pass the info to my father; but as he tends to get seasick easily, and from the trip reports I have read on this forum, I am trying to find other options.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Has your father tried the Transderm Scop patch? It has changed my life. I used to get seasick, but the patch really works for me, to the point where I only need to use half a patch now. Dramamine works, too, but I have to take it well before boarding and I continue to take it several times a day throughout the cruise.

One thing that I learned, after years and years of being seasick all the time, is that the the fear of being seasick is almost as debilitating as the actual seasickness. The patch gave me the confidence I needed to keep on cruising ( which i love!).

That said, I have not sailed across the Drake Passage. I hear it is one of the roughest patches of sea on earth. I have sailed across the North Sea in a gale, however . . . on a small ship . . . the old Renaissance VII. Fantastic!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my father has tried the patch and all sort of medications, but nothing seems work very well. My paretns have done cruises more than 30 times, now they try to stick to reiver cruises, but he really wants to visit Antarctica as he is turning 80 this year.
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 11:57 AM

I don't recommand it - I didn't appreciate that flight+cruise : bad weather , bad organization and i didn't feel very secured. The flight was unfortunately very bad but short (2 hours).
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM

Sure hope JudyC's father has had the chance to make the trip in the past four years since the previous posts (except for the last one).