Recent Cruisers During War

Mar 27th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Recent Cruisers During War

How was it cruising during this war time?? We are scheduled April 12 aboard Golden and am getting increasingly anxious. I don't want to cancel. Any thoughts from anyone who has cruised recently? Thank you
Mar 27th, 2003, 01:33 PM

I have friends who have recently cruised and some other people have posted on other cruise forums, that the ships keep you well informed on what is going on in this world......

also they try to keep you upbeat and busy- so you can experience a vacation...

Security is at an all time hight-- I am currently in South Florida this week and they report on the "port of Miami and Port Everglades" all the time telling you how the COAST GUARD is keeping the seaports secure...

So, go on your cruise, try to chill out and have a vacation...while it may be a little subdued, it still will get you away from all this tv and 24 hr war postings......

Enjoy your cruise !
Mar 28th, 2003, 11:54 AM

I just got off the Golden Princess on March 22. The war started while we were sailing. I am the anxious type, but I must say I felt fine on the cruise. Coast guard cutters were in each port, and a small security boat circled the ship the whole time we were in port. Plus an officer told me that the Coast Guard monitors every ship on the water; they know who's where, and they especially watch the cruise ships. If they see something unusual, they would be tracked.

Security on and off the Golden at embarkation and in ports was very, very good. It would be almost impossible to "smuggle" anyone or anything on board. EVERYTHING in your hands had to run through X-ray, even coming from Princess Cays, and each person had to run their cruise card through a machine to see if their photo in the system matched the person holding the cruise card before you could re-board.

In many ways, it was a blessing to see the beautiful sea and sky and not have CNN on 24 hours a day, like I do at home. Please go and enjoy yourself.
Mar 28th, 2003, 11:58 AM

We were on the Grand Princess last week when the war started. To tell you the truth, we didn't even know about it until about 24hrs later (saw it on the TV) There was no announcement or info shared with the passengers directly from the cruise line. I didn't really care...I was getting ready for the beach. 9/11 proved to all of us, "they" can "get" us where ever we are. Don't cancel! Go on your trip and have fun.
Mar 31st, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all. I feel better. We definitely don't want to cancel, especially after this winter.
Mar 31st, 2003, 09:12 PM
DMG

Interesting. My kids are going on a cruise in April and I was a little leary. Your responses helped put my mind at ease.
Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:08 PM

I boarded Seabourn's Pride ship on March 17th for our Transatlantic Crossing. We disembarked Lisbon on March 30th. Received CNN only a few days at sea and actually, it was a relief.....what could I have done at home? Lisbon airport security was very tight as was Newark.....RUN, don't walk to your cruise ship! Do not be anxious or worry.....what can you do anyway!
'lest we forget....."later doesn't come for everybody!"
Happy Trails and Sails to you!
Apr 4th, 2003, 01:29 PM
DMG

Martha B is back in town! Welcome home. Now I'll go to Cruisecritic to read your posting.
Apr 4th, 2003, 03:03 PM

DMG
Yes.....here I am! We had a fantastic
voyage! The "sea Gods" were very kind to us as we had 12 sunny days! If you would like to see the "Hall of Fame
Crosser's" pictures please feel free to e-mail me and I'll send you the password, etc. They're sure woth a look!

Happy Trails and Sails to You!
M.

Search this Thread