RCCL vs Celebrity - Can't Decide!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to cruise either the western or southern Caribbean in March 2007. This will be a group of couples in the mid 40's-50's age range. Two of us will have our 18 year old daughters with us as this is during Spring Break. We have been on one RCCL cruise on the Monarch of the Seas several years back and had a great time. We are deciding between RCCL Navigator for Western route, RCCL Adventure or Celebrity Galaxy (10-day) for Southern routes. We want to balance a nice, relaxing cruise experience for the adults vs a fun time for the 2 high school seniors. Love the Galaxy itinerary, but worry it will be too boring for the girls, though they are not the party animal types. Any input would be welcome to help us decide.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I think there will be far fewer teens and young people on a 10 day cruise. Is that good or bad? I loved the Navigator- the Wine bar, the incredible ice shows, the always bustling Promenade. I took my 12 and 16 yr old daughters on the Voyager last Spring break and they loved it (even though I liked the Mariner and Navigator better) There were a lot of children and young people and they did many activities outside of those provided by the program. They did a lot of damage in Johnny Rocket's as well. By the way, you can't compare the Eagle Class ships to the Monarch- much more to do and vastly different.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Everybody will find what they need on any RCCL Voyager class ship. You are right that Celebrity may be boring. Why do you not consider Eastern Caribbean?
Linda, what is Eagle class ships?
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Those are the Voyager, Explorer, Navigator and Mariner
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:32 AM

We'd been on the Galaxy and on RCCL's Enchantment (both about 2 years old at the time we were on them) - Aside from itinerary, I preferred the decor of RCCL's ship more, BUT, both were very comprable with food and entertainment... I'd go with the more interesting itinerary. I HATE days at sea... I much prefer seeing a new island with its beauty and culture as opposed to sitting around a ship's pool (yes, they are lovely, but they bore me after a while... not like an island's beach).
BUT, everyone has different things that "float their boat"... so figure out what floats yours and go for it... You'll love either ship for its food, service and entertainment (the teens will be fine on the Galaxy!!)

Bon Voyage!!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:44 PM

If all considerations are similar, I'd suggest choosing the newest ship. It really seems like technology, services, features always seem better on the newer ships. The ship also seems fresh, clean and new.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Sorry, I've been on both lines and I'll take Celebrity anytime...A ten day cruise in the Southern Caribb. sounds ideal.. and the girls will have a great time.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 05:52 AM

I would also take Celebrity anytime. Navigator is like a floating convention hotel with far too many people and a lack of personal service. I could care less about the ice rinks, Johhny Rockets, etc. And, the ship will be overrun with kids over spring break. I would stay far, far away. My one spring break experience on RCI was a DISASTER!

Celebrity is the opposite.

Old Feb 27th, 2006, 07:05 AM

We choose RCCL this summer specifically because we (3 families) had several kids in that age group. They were too old for the teen clubs on any cruise line but RCCL had the climbing wall, ice skating rink, rollerblading, mini-golf, dance classes etc. available. Our kids loved RCCL...ordering room service was a big hit.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I've cruised on both Celebrity and RCI - note that they're both sister cruise lines. Anyway I was about 14/15 when I sailed with Celebrity and just recently, 22 when I sailed with RCI. While I had fun both times, I felt that there was more to do on the RCI ship (we sailed on Explorer). I'm not a party girl either, but I had plenty of fun with the rock climbing wall, the various trivia/name that tune games, the pool, mini golf, shows in the theater, and of course, ice skating! There were tons of other things that I didn't even get to do such as a rollerblading track, the spa, hot tubs, etc. I felt like celebrity is more of a relaxing cruise line (and also targeted for an older/adult crowd) whereas RCI - while it was very relaxing, also offered plenty of things to do.