RC VofSeas vs. NCL Sun vs. Carnival Glory

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need some help on deciding between these ships. Next winter they have similar ports that I am interested in and are generally in the same price range for an inside cabin (though Carnival is about $300 cheaper which is why it is being considered). So it is really coming down to experience/atmosphere.

This will be our first cruise. We do a lot of travelling but usually more independent kind - remote jungle lodges, self-serve condos/villas in the Caribbean, hiking to backcountry lodge, etc. A cruise would be a change of pace for us.

Want to avoid the party-girls-gone-wild scene or people "encouraging" me to participate in some type of game. Don't mind eating with others - enjoy a good laugh and fun conversations. High quality food is very important (lots of veggies, fresh foods, grilled not deep-fried). Quantity of food is not important - buffets and the option to order 2 dinners is certainly not a desire.

Finding a quiet spot to enjoy a book/magazine that is not my cabin would be a plus. Probably would see a good show 1 or 2 times but certainly not every night.

For those who are cruise experts - which would be a better fit? which would be the least fit for "my travel style"?

THANKS!!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to add - it will be 2 adults (late thirties) and no children.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I have cruised on both ships. While neither are my favorites, I greatly preferred everything about the Sun to the Glory, except for the cabin sizes.

The Sun is a prettier ship, with a better layout, much nicer decor, a very good staff and very good food in their ala carte restaurants, though I did not care for the buffet or free dining. The entertainment was varied and good.

Glory is far too small for the number of people that it carries. The pool is truly awful with stadium seating. The ship is loud and smoky and horrifically overcrowded. Hated the food except for the Supper Club, found the ship to be gaudy and overdone, had mediocre service throughout and generally thought it was awful. Really disliked the dining room antics

The Sun I enjoyed even though NCL and Fresstyle is not my first (or second or third) choice. I cruise on her 4 x times in Alaska and was happy with most aspects of the ship, though not wowed by any.

Cabins are tiny on NCL but that is a small tradeoff IMO.

Regarding "experience" and "atmosphere" both are casual, not elegant in any way, nor special IMO. Based on how you describe yourselves, I think you might prefer NCL overall.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Sorry I forgot to discuss Vision as I was on board her for an Alaska cruise in 2004. She is the best of the bunch in every way in my experience. Pretty ship, lots of open areas, warm staff, lovely Champagne Bar and new bedding in the cabins.

She would be my first choice. No multiple restaurants though if this is an issue but very nice public areas and a much better run ship.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Is VofSeas Vision of the Seas or Voyager of the Seas? I've been on both but not the NCL/Carnival. I'm biased towards RCI as I've cruised many times with them and cruiser friends have been unahppy with NCL & Carnival. I'd pick NCL over Carnival based on what I've heard.

As for RCI, there are lots of options for dinner & they always have "healthy choice" recommendations. We ordered what we wanted as a main and then we ordered a "share" plates so we could sample a variety!

You can choose a table for 6,8 or 10. I found 10 to be too big (long table) but liked the 6-8 so you could get to meet more easily at the "round" table.

As for games etc. we were never coherced on RCI. Participate if you want, watch if you want. They always re-air all the entertainment/games on the stateroom tv if you missed.

RCI gives out "dollars" for participating in fitness or even any fun acitivy like dance lessons or putting tournament which we could redeem at the end for key chains, water bottles, t-shirts etc. I don't believe the other ships have that programme.

The ships have plenty of nooks both outside and in to enjoy a good book including a nice library!

As for entertainment, you may be pleasantly surprised. Some nights were fantastic, others good, only a couple over the years have been so-so.

Have fun. Where are you going?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. From the sounds of it, I'll definitely stay away from Carnival - you have confirmed my suspicions.

VofSeas was meant to be RCL's Voyager of Seas.

So now it's between NCL and RCL. I don't mind the size of the cabin since most insides are already small. I actually like the idea of freestyle dinner - again more independent.

Both are the same price just under $1500 for the week including taxes. I am leaning towards NCL only because it is a Sat-Sat and RCL is a Sun-Sun. I don't like coming back late and turn around and go to work the next morning with piles of things to do over the week. But I would consider it, if RCL was just that much more extra special AND a better fit to our travel pace.

Are both ships about the same for unloading? Sounds like it is a long wait after they dock. So if the brochure says we arrive by 8am, it sounds like it is 10-11am before I'm actually off the ship. That leaves about 4hrs to explore a place. Is that the case for both ships?

Thinking about going next winter - maybe February.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM

I would choose Voyager simply because IMO RCI does a way better job all the way around than NCL. But, they do not have Freestyle on Voyager and will have two formal nights.

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Voyager is a nice ship with a long promenade down the middle where they had parades and entertainement some nights.

Regarding freestyle dining on NCL and not on RCI:

I actually enjoyed the dining room since when am I ever waited on like this at home???? If you go VofSeas I would advise that you choose 1 seating or the other.

However, it doesn't mean you have to show up every night. If you want to go casual upstairs while it's formal night, you're free to do so. There are other dining options. At our table, some couples were only there on some nights so it's very flexible. You may just enjoy the dining room and end up there

Other notes on VofSeas:
Try the rock climbing challenging
Don't miss the ice show in the arena!

Old May 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Royal Carribbean is always my first choice. It costs a bit more for a reason. They have a pool for adults only (which I like, even tho I have kids!) Not sure about VOS, but it probably has adult pool too. My second would be Norwegian. I don't plan to go on Carnival again. I think of it this way: Royal Carribbean is along the lines of a Marriott/Hyatt. Norwegian about the same but less bells & whistles. Carnival is more like a Holiday Inn.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:39 AM
emd

Voyager of the Seas has an adult only pool area, the Solarium. I found the main dining room to be very good re both food and service. And there is a specialty restaurant, Portofino. I did not have the best expereince there, but maybe it was just an "off" night as most people love Portofino on that ship. You can order from the dining room menu for room service at dinner also.

I was very impressed with Voyager when I cruised last month on her. No wild atmosphere; I did not see anyone publically drunk or acting out in that way. There are many things to do, but you can either participate or not, no one is screaming at you to do anything. The spa is good, workout facilities are excellent, many adventurous things to do, but also some nice low key classes and things to do. Very good service, and I am picky about service. I did a review on this board of our cruise (under title "Voyager of the Seas, a post by froggie recently, search for it if you like).

There are quiet spots on Voyager; the two-floor library comes to mind. You might want to go on cruisecritics.com and read the many reviews of the ship there, and their overall review of the hip for specifics.