Questions about Norwegian??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken a few cruises, but never on NCL. We have narrowed down our choices and I think we will book their Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on the Star.
First, I like the idea of Free-style dining...but I am still a little confused by it. Do they charge you for all speciality resturants outside of the main dining area or are some free? What is the average charge?
Also, I read a comment somewhere that in the main dining room they charge you for certain items.(the poster mentioned $5 for a lobster tail) I have sailed a few other lines and been charged for sodas and drinks but never for anything on the menu at diner. Are you actually charged for different foods?
I have tried to find reviews on cruise critic-but most of these are centered around their winter ports...I would really like to hear from someone that has been on this ship in Alaska.
Thanks so much.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:36 PM

If you go to their web site and search it for that ship you will see the LeBistro French restaurant has a $10.00 pp cover and the Ginza Japanese restaurant has "ala carte pricing" but that is all you see inre to extra charges.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 04:03 AM

I was on the Star this year and Dawn in Nov.. All speciality resturants have cover charges except the Italian and Mexican. There were no extra charges in the main dining rooms.

There is always the buffet and blue lagoon- hamburgers etc.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM

We just returned from a cruise on the Norwegian Wind around the Hawaiian islands, and we loved it. We like the Freestyle dining. We sat at tables with different people at many meals (but were glad we weren't required to sit with one couple every meal!). Le Bistro charges $10 per person cover charge, but you don't have to pay extra for the food. The other restaurants do not have extra charges. The Terraces was our favorite restaurant. We got to know the maitre 'd, and I think we got some special treatment at times. Il Trattoria is also nice, and Four Seasons is large, less cozy, but good food. Going ashore on six of the 11 nights, we were glad not to be restricted to a particular sitting, so the sports bar was handy, with excellent food on a buffet. There is even a pizza parlor that is open all night (but we never had pizza).
There are no additional charges for food at any of the restaurants on Norwegian Wind. Even room service is free (gratuities suggested). We had coffee and muffins brought to our stateroom every morning, and I occupied myself in that manner while my wife made herself beautiful. Then we would go for a hearty breakfast. (I gained only six pounds in the eleven days.)
Bar drinks and sodas are extra.
My wife and I enjoyed Norwegian so much that I booked a twelve-night Baltic Capitals cruise on Norwegian Dream in May just today, and we are eager to go.
Donsuz
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Oops. Actually, we went ashore on six of the DAYS, not NIGHTS.
Donsuz