Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Question about cruisequick.com and cruise discounts in general

Jan 16th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

I just received a quote from cruisequick.com for a Celebrity cruisetour package that was $400 per person less than what Celebrity quoted me. How is that possible that they're able to discount it that much? Is there THAT much commission built in so that they can rebate $400pp to me? I've used TA's that offered commission rebates before but never this significant of an amount. So just wondering if it's coming out of their commission and how much commission can an agency earn assuming that they do a high volume of business with a particular line? 15%? 20%?
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

To avoid any confusion, I did email cruisequick.com after receiving their quote to make sure it included the same exact components as the Celebrity quote.
Jan 16th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Patty...My TA is part of a "mega".They get 14-17% commission, PLUS the most rock bottom rates to begin with.So I dont think it is a rebate from his commission as much as it is pure and simple volume production.I have gotten quites from other agencies(not that i would book from any other TA on the planet!!), and they have made a huge deal out of saying they would "rebate" part of their commission if I would book with them.When in fact I think their deal was the same as my TA's--large volume,low rates, and good commission levels.
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

BeachBoi,
Who is your TA?
Jan 16th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Patty...He's "attached" to a Carlson agency, of which there are many.....but I have been with him for 15 years and I am with him because of him and not his affiliation.But having the benefit of a conglomerate is helpful.
Jan 16th, 2004, 03:05 PM

We saved about the same on our last cruise by NOT booking with Carnival. I think this is not unusual. Why the cruise lines themselves charge more is a mystery to me.
Jan 16th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Careful Patty! I booked three outside cabins with cruisequick...I specified in the note portion of my email that I wanted picture windows, not portholes, so as to have a better view. Their price was so great, and it was the right category cabin, so I (greedily) booked without checking the actual cabin locations. Two of the cabins were obstructed view (still considered "outside" though) and the third was a porthole cabin in the very front of the ship, with about 4 feet between the window and the cabin wall, where the anchor is stored! You should hear that noise. The lesson here: check the actual cabin numbers on your quotes, and maybe call the cruiseline to verify whether obstructed (hard to determine from the internet). THEN if all is equal, go for it! Also, I had a discount coupon, which I mailed to cruisequick, but it took repeated emails to finally get the refund (which was smaller than usual, since cruisequick takes a part of it). Would I use them again? Only if I knew the exact cabin number I wanted.
Jan 16th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone ever transferred a booking to cruisequick? I've done this with other TA's before. I actually have a hold on a cabin with Celebrity and if they could just take over the booking, then I'd know exactly what I was getting or as much as I can at this point. This cruise is on Celebrity Xpedition, their new 100 passenger ship to the Galapagos. I just found out about it yesterday, they don't even have brochures or a website yet!
Jan 17th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Cruisequick is reputable, we did a HAL cruise with them. But there is no phone contact of any kind if you want to discuss anything person to person. . You can send an email but sometimes they don't answer the question or they don't understand the question. Sometimes you need phone contact, sometimes you do not. I just booked a more complicated cruise with a telephonic TA and I paid $20 more per person than the Cruisequick quote. It was worth the extra $20.
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:23 AM

CruiseQuick has a very good reputation in the industry.

If you're wondering why prices vary so much, one of the reasons is that agencies buy group space on ships months in advance at lower rates--this gives them some significant price advantages on certain ships and sailings.

As you never know which agency will have space on the ship you want, it's best to shop around. A service like www.cruisecompete.com allows you to get multiple quotes from competing agencies.

Good luck!
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

I checked around some more and received quotes from buycruises.com, cruise.com, and used cruisecompete.com and the cruisemates.com bargain finder. The closest quote was still almost $200pp more so I went ahead and transferred my Celebrity booking to cruisequick. Thanks for the feedback!
Feb 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I'm just going through the same dilemma. I got a $400 lower quote from cruisequick.com but am nervous about email only. It's Celebrity Millenium 14 night Med. cruise. They have the Concierge Class cabin in the location that I want. Should I go for it?
Feb 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM

I booked a Century cruise with Cruisequick last spring. Got a great price, and had no problems. Everything is by email, so you have it in writing, and they are very prompt with answers to your questions. I was very pleased with Cruisequick.
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Thanks for all the info. I went ahead and booked the Med. cruise with Cruisequick. All billing is done by the cruiseline so that made me feel comfortable. I called the cruiseline after booking and they had the reservation and deposit on file. The company seems very efficient and answered my emails quickly.