QM2 how bad really??

Oct 15th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

QM2 how bad really??

we just booked for Jan 8; in a lower category cabin; is class really an issue? should we be concerned?? We just wanted to experience this ship; we are not fussy about the food; but I don't want to be treated as a lower-class passenger. Any thoughts????
Oct 15th, 2004, 11:42 AM

I was on for 17 days in March/April and never felt there was any "class" distinction. I was booked in an atrium cabin. I found the food to be okay (nothing that wowed me, by any means) in the main dining room, but very good in Todd English and especially Lotus. All the bars, lectures, and shows are open to all with the exception of the grill lounges and maybe one of the sundecks.

No need to be concerned - you will have a wonderful time!!! I enjoyed my time on board so much I'll be going again in Jan. 2005. If you have any other questions - fire away.
Oct 15th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, I feel a little better.
Oct 16th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Glad to hear that, too.

We'll be going Oct. '05 as the first leg of a 31 day cruise.

Nice that everyone is friendly and the class system is mostly about dinner time.
Oct 19th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Tickie: I'm concerned about the sun deck that we are not allowed on; I love to sit on the deck; should I be concerned?? What cruise are you on, we are on Jan 8?? Thanks.
Oct 20th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I always used the sun deck on deck 6 since my cabin was also on this deck. Once they did close off half the deck for the kids program, but I was always able to find a deck chair in the sun. I believe it was mentioned on one of the postings on Cruise Critic that one of the upper sundecks was open only to Grille passengers. Never checked up on this since I was happy where I was. Seemed to be an abundance of steamer chairs available on deck 7 too.

I'll be on the Jan. 29th Dreamer's Caribbean IV. So be sure to post when you return and let me know how it was!
Oct 20th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Tickie: We will be on deck 6 too, sounds good. Thank you for your help. One last question, I read in another venue site, that we (those not in the grille class) could only eat at Todd English once. Is this true do you know???? thanks. I'll definitely post and let you know how it is.
Oct 28th, 2004, 05:48 AM

I only ate in Todd English once - but the person I had dinner with made two different reservations. I guess it just depends on the demand.
Oct 29th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Does anyone have thoughts on taking the QM2 for our honeymoon in January? We can't decide between 2 cruises? Royal Carribean from San Juan (stops at 5 islands and we sail 1 day) or QM2 from Ft. Lauderdale, Sails 1st day, then stops at 3 different islands and sails back 2 full days. (7 night cruise). It's our 1st cruise. Worried that 3 days at sea may be too much? Is the QM2 really spectacular? We'd have a better room on RC (higher middle). The QM2 we'd be in the back on 4th floor, both balconies. Thanks
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:34 AM

One thing you need to know about the QM2: BRING LOTS OF MONEY!You will be nickeled and dimed to death at every turn. Friends of mine say that they have never been on such an expensive cruise in their lives. It seemed to them that they were signing for something every time they turned around.
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:56 AM

In my experience if you enjoy more of a "stuffy" atmosphere (and I'm sorry but you'll never quite get over the fact that you AREN'T "allowed" to visit certain areas or dine in certain venues on the QM2) then go with the Cunarder; if you want something a little more relaxed then go with someone else.
Nov 1st, 2004, 07:59 AM

"Stuffy"??????? Is this what you felt on board or are you just making assumptions?

I don't think there is a feeling of stuffiness on this ship at all!

And to say that you'll never get over not being allowed to visit certain areas of the ship.... there were plenty of areas on the ship I was allowed access to and still never got around to seeing - even after 17 days!

As for being expensive....I found the drinks (alcohol) to be very reasonably priced. You were given an option of buying a soda card and I think this does make purchasing sodas more reasonable. Pictures taken on board are horribly overpriced (and what are you really going to do with a $27 8x10 photo of yourself?) Dry cleaning was sometimes cheaper than what I pay at home though.