Prices too high

Mar 15th, 2000, 03:09 PM
Simone Roisman

Prices too high

Can anyone explain what happened to Celebrity cruises prices? We just got back from Century and wanted to book Zenith for Dec00/Jan01. While we were cruising, prices went up at least 50%.

Mar 16th, 2000, 07:26 PM
Paul Therault

Dear Simone;

I am a travel agent. For heaven's sake, never book a cruise when you are on a cruise. You will be paying top dollar.

Your travel agent should have promotions and most will discount their commissions.

Paul

Mar 16th, 2000, 09:21 PM
Denise Blackmore

Simone,

It's not a bad idea to book a cruise when you are cruising. RCCL and Celebrity offer shipboard credits for booking onboard. Plus, when you get home your TA already knows you've booked and if they have any additional discounts you'll get them!

Apr 5th, 2000, 12:05 PM
LR

I would like to correct something I noticed in a previous message.....stating that travel agents can get better discounts than booking on board is usually true. However, do not expect most travel agents to discount or rebate part of their commission back to you. This is how travel agents make their living and most travel agents I know value their time and service and feel they are worth every penny of their commission.If clients ask for a reduction in the cruise price by insisting the travel agent reduce the commission, only the agents in desperate need of the business will do so.

Apr 10th, 2000, 05:56 PM
pvh

I had already talked with my TA before my Galaxy Alaska cruise regarding prices for Southern Caribbean Galaxy. While on the Alaska cruise, I talked with the "ship TA--don't remember what she was called" and gave her my price. She sent me a letter telling me they could not match the prices even with the shipboard credits they gave. If you go on the cruise prepared, you cannot go wrong booking during the cruise (because they do offer some very nice shipboard credits then). They will also have any reservations faxed to your TA. Incidentally, my TA keeps a very close watch on prices--if they drop, she drops ours.