Reload this Page >

Pre/Post Med Cruise Rome

Search

Pre/Post Med Cruise Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:29 AM
John

Pre/Post Med Cruise Rome

Considering a Mediterranean Cruise from Rome. Would like to add 2-3 days pre or post to tour Rome. Has anyone done this? How long? Pre or post cruise? <BR>Thanks

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:29 AM
Andy

You will love a MED cruise from Rome.Do the PRE CRUISE as it allows you to overcome jet lag prior to cruise.Another fact is if your luggage doesn't get there on day 1 due to airlines,you have a better chance of seeing prior to cruise sailing if you arrive a couple of days early ( this did happpen to us on a former cruise out of Lisbon-we arrived 2 days early for sightseeing and our luggage arrived in drips and drabs up to the very minute that the ship was pulling out!)You can actually do you own pre-cruise tours(have your travel agent book you into hotel in Rome center-i love the ones near the Borghese Gardens on the Via Veneto--great area to walk around at nite-take a taxi or car service into rome--as car service runs about $25-$35USD (email [email protected] and put to attention of Andrea and he will set up everything.-he also does the drive from Rome to Cittavecchia (your Rome port) and that costs about $100 USD .His people meet you outside customs and drive you into town or down to Cittavecchia in an a/c Mercedes.The same transfers from the cruise line to the port run $110 for 2 people on a BUS with 50 other people and all their luggage.Which ship are you trying to decide on? You can email me direct if you need anything else. Have a wonderful time---it's a very romantic cruise!!!

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:49 AM
Tony

I also am considering a Med. cruise with a pre or post Rome stay. However, my biggest hurdle is the airfare to Rome?? From the east coast I have gotten nothing lower than $1000. Why is it so expensive to fly to Italy than anywhere else? <BR> <BR>Should I consider flying into London or Paris then connecting to Rome?

Old May 3rd, 2001, 08:18 PM
Andy

Airfare depends on what city you're flying out of and the time of year you're travelling. Most cruise lines have an airfare included or at a nominal add-on depending on the line. <BR>Windstar has a lot of 50%off cruises in the Med w/free airfare from major cities-all depends when you book which special they are running at the time. Ask your local travel agent-they get daily faxes from the cruise lines w/specials and they're up-to-the minute with their info.

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:05 AM
neviboy

We ALWAYS spend a day or two before boarding the ship, especially after a long flight from home (S.Florida) This gives time to board at leisure, rest up, see the city, etc. After the cruise we like to get home immediately. We have booked the Rome-Athens cruise in Oct. on Renaissance 1. The ship is our hotel in both ports for a night before sailing, which is great. <BR>neviboy

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:09 AM
neviboy

I forgot flights. I got a great deal from my agent who went through a wholesaler. Miami - Rome via London and Athens to Miami via London. Much less than $1000 each <BR>neviboy