Reload this Page >

Passports????????

Search

Passports????????

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 07:50 PM
kiersty

Passports????????

I've heard mixed reveiws about needing a passport to go to the w. caribbean. My husband and I will be cruising with carnival and this is our first cruise and were a little unsure. In order to get our pp by 11/03 it will be 300$$$. RIDICULOS!! Any advice will really be appreciated!!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:38 AM
Barbara

The first time my husband and I went to the Western Caribbean we did not have passports. If you are US citizens, have birth certificates, etc., you should be fine.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:42 AM
thereuare

I don't know if a passport is necessary, but if you go with the birth certificate, note i think it needs to be an original with the seal on it (no photocopies).<BR><BR>I would let this be a "lesson" and send away for the passports anyway (not the rush service which is why i assume it's so expensive) so that you'll have them. They don't expire for 10 years, but before they do expire send them in for renewal so that they always remain current. You never know when you might need it.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:42 AM
CB

We just returned from a WC cruise(Roatan, Belize, Caymans, Cozumel-2 had passports, 2 did not) and if you're a US citizen(born here) all you need is an orginal birth certificate(raised seal) and a gov't issued photo id (ie driver's license). Basically Passports are needed for anyone else. Your TA or the Co. you're buying your trip from should know what you need, just ask before purchasing.<BR>Happy Travels. CB

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 05:56 AM
Love

You will not need a passport, but for future trips you may want to get one, and here are 2 reasons why.<BR>Recently a young couple were doing a honeymoon cruise and while visiting Belize, they received a message that her father took ill and they should get home ASAP. They did not have passports, so they could not fly out of Belize and they would have to wait till the next port which was 2 days away. Sadly her dad passed away before she had a chance to get home. Another reason and this happens often is, if one needs an emergency medical evacuation, and occasionally the closest hospital is in a country where passports are needed to enter. <BR>So folks, I urge everybody to get a passport. It's relatively inexpensive, it's good for 10 years, and it opens doors to just about everywhere.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:00 AM
wendel

I am really surprised in this day and age that there are adults out there without passports.<BR>Get one now if you don't have one. You never know when you will unexpectedly need one. And they do greatly speed up the check-in at airports and cruise ships. Even if you are only travelling to Mexico or Canada.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:51 PM
Cathy

Actually, I know lots of people who don't have a passport because they never travel outside of the country. But I recommend that you get one if you cruise or plan any future travel out of the country. For the cruise ship, all you will need is the "official" birth cert. with the raised seal and a picture ID, but in case you run into trouble while in another country, a passport is the "gold standard". I would get one for future cruises, or you may decide to go back to one of the islands you visited for a longer vacation.