Opinion Regarding Shore Excursion

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:24 PM
RO

Opinion Regarding Shore Excursion

Would like your opinion regarding the Shore Excursions on the Paradise (West. Caribbean). We are going on our honeymoon, this is our first cruise, and we would appreciate your input. Also, can we bring a bottle on board with us?

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Al

We recently returned from a cruise in the Pacific where the cruise line clearly stated in their printed materials that wine brought into the dining room would be subject to a $10 corkage fee. What you brought, however, into your own cabin and drank there was strictly your business. Have you checked the printed materials provided by your cruise line? Have you checked their web site? Have you checked message boards operated by the cruise line? Have you--through the message boards--contacted other persons who have sailed on the line you have chosen?

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 07:39 PM
Debi

Hi Ro, don't know much about the Paradise, but just got off the Elation. We took a bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne with us. You can only bring these onboard at embarkation. Don't forget the corkscrew!?! We did!!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:08 PM
Susan

We just returned from the Western Carrib. on paradise -- sailed July 2-9. First cruise, and enjoyed it. The Paradise is a nice ship, especially given its smoke-free status. <BR> <BR>We had a four and a six-year old along, so our excursions were planned around them. Can't recommend anything on Cozumel, as we just went to a hotel beach (The Presidente -- very nice, but charged $20/person!). <BR> <BR>On Grand Cayman, you won't want to miss Stingray City, where you actually get in knee-deep water with these gentle creatures. My kids were too squeamish to try it, but everyone else in our group of 20 loved it! <BR> <BR>Jamaica has natural beauty, but is poor and rather decrepit around the port (Ocho Rios). I had my heart set on climbing the falls at Dunn's River. We went, planning to leave hubby and kids on the beach while I climbed, but it was so crowded that I decided to forgo the climb. The beach there isn't that nice, so skip it altogether if you don't plan to climb the falls. <BR> <BR>If you haven't already found this site, go to cruiseopinion.com, where people post reviews. I read reviews of Paradise cruises for six months before we left, and felt very prepared when it was our turn to go. One bit of advice -- bring along a multiple outlet adapter. There is NO outlet in the bathroom, and only the standard two-plug in the cabin. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage and enjoy!

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 05:38 AM
theresa

Only advice would be to take an excursion (any one) in Ocho Rios. I took a trip and it was ok. Afterwards - I ventured out on my own to find a newspaper - I was approached (and followed) seveal times by people wanted to sell me drugs. It got to a point where I felt not safe and found some people from the next ship and begged them to let me follow them back to the ship. They let me and everything was fine. The people here are very pushy and rude.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 05:28 PM
karen

Hi: Went on the Paradise in May of this year. In Cozumel we rented a car for the day and had a great time. We went to the ruins at San Gervasio then to the beaches on the Eastern side stopping at beaches and beach bars along the way. We had ordered a Cozumel map of the internet through the gringo guide site(check it out). We stoped at Nacha Cocum beach club, San francisco beach club, Playa d azul for snorkling and the list goes on. After returning the car at five we changed and went to town for dinner we ate at Pancho's Backyard at Los cinco sol. It was a wonderful mexican meal for about 60.00 for drinks appetizers entree and dessert. The margaritas are huge. We also dropped in to Carlos and Charlies and walked through the square and toured the shoppes there.We had researched alot about this island and this turned out to be the day of our cruise. On Grand Cayman we took the Stingray city and turtle farm and hell tour. It was very good, we had them drop us off at the beach and walked back to town and did a bit of shopping. We had lunch at the Marriot outdoor patio on Seven mile beach it was beautiful but over 45.00 Us for a very small lunch for two, salad for me club house for my husband. The Rum Cake is great grab a few samples. We did a boat cruise to the Dunn's river falls. I would forget about the cruise and just take a taxi. Its a blast to climb the falls and the pictures that the carnival photographer takes are very good. Also the picture they took at stingray city and put on a disc are very very good. We took some liquor in our checked luggage but they do scan your carry on or purse at each port when you get back on the ship.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 04:04 PM
lisa

For shore excursions in Cozumel, try a dolphin encounter. One is offered by the ship(the less expensive, but not as much fun since you don't get in the water with the dolphins you just stand on a platform in thigh high water) Book the the other adventure and you can book online(it closes fast and space is limited) You can see what it's like at www.dolphindiscovery.com. In Grand Cayman make sure to take the Stingray Sandbar tour. Here you take a short boat ride to a shallow location that southern stingrays like to hang out and you can feed and swim with them. Ocho Rio do the Dunn River Falls. The ship offers two tours, try the one that sailing to the falls. As far as bring a bottle back, they collect all alcohol when you reboard the ship and deliver it back to you the last night of your cruise. That way you have to buy all drinks on board,spending more of your money.