Novovirus risk

Feb 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Novovirus risk

Recently returned from a Caribbean cruise on RCI Voyager of the Seas. had a brilliant time, ship was superb and couldn't fault the cruise.
However we were very surprised they had no hand sanitation before entering buffet and restaurant. we have previously cruised on NCL and Princess and the staff insisted you used the sanitiser before entering the restaurant which we thought was a good thing.
Although I never heard any reports of any sickness the number of guys who use the restroom then don't wash their hands you would think RCI would have the sanitisers available.
Strangely the only sanitiser I saw was at Customer Services. Couldn't work that one out.
nevertheless we had an ace week and will cruise RCI again sometime soon.
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:37 AM

We were on a P&O cruise recently and I was appalled at the number of women who didnt wash their hands when they came out the toilet. You cant help but notice when youre in the queue!
Thankfully P&O were insistent on the sanatising fluid - even in the main dining rooms where you were served.Also when you came on-board after being ashore.They used to leave it to you but now 2 staff members do the squirting!
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM

We just returned from the NCL Pearl there newest ship. The dispensers are everywhere. You would be suprised at how many people do not use them. I am very cognizant of our health and I am also surprised at how many touchy feely people there are. They just have to TOUCH the rails, or backs of chairs. I avoid touching any hard surfaces and carry with me a hand sanitizer. I also wiped down all the hard surfaces in our cabin as soon as we arrived. Those germs can stay active for 48 hours. You know an ounce of prevention is worth its weight in gold!! Who wants to be sick on a cruise or anyplace for that matter.
Feb 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM

We just got back from a Princess cruise, and they were extremely vigilant about this. There were announcements from the captain every day, giving a status report. Evidentally there were some cases early on, so they were being very careful.

After a few days, the captain's announcements about it quit. We didn't know if it was because the virus was eradicated, or there were just too many cases to count gt;

They were disinfecting and cleaning constantly, and hand sanitizers were at the entrances to all the restaurants, as well as other places. Everyone used them!
Feb 6th, 2007, 09:09 AM

It amazes me at conferences/ airports/ etc. watching so many women leaving the restroom without washing hands. It makes me want to not shake hands anymore.
Feb 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM

I learned early on that compulsive hand washing prevented lots of hospital acquired infections and still wash (15-20 secs each) about 20X a day.
We'll be taking the antimicrobial hand wipes on Celebrity Millennium.
M
Feb 11th, 2007, 06:25 PM

We just returned from Royal Caribbean Enchantment of the Sea and there were hand sanitizers everywhere. Also, they had a staff person standing at the entrance to the casual restaurant and you were not allowed to enter without using it.
Feb 24th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Just off a Celebrity late Jan cruise. About 15 cases of the virus were reported. They were extremely dilligent in keeping thae count that low. Lots of sanitizing done once the 3rd case was reported. Elevator buttons, railings,door handles were being constantly sprayed. Even at the buffets, psngrs couldn't help themselves, even to beverages. The ship did an excellent job at keeping the virus at bay.