Northern Europe or Southern Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2015, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the answer will be "it's up to your own taste", but I'd still like opinions.

My wife and I are both mid-50's. 25 year anniversary coming up. The thought is to spend roughly 15 days in Europe, including a 10-12 day cruise. Based on work and family schedules, we probably need to do this over the summer. Possibilities include the Southern route (some combination of Barcelona, France, Italy, and Greece), or the Northern route (some combination of Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallin, or other nearby cities).

We had thought about possibly a river cruise, but based upon what I've read on this forum about problems with high or low water levels, we think we've eliminated this.

We're not experienced cruisers. Alaska, a few Caribbean cruises is all we've done. Mostly travelled in US, a few trips to Israel, separate two week land trips to England, Scotland, and Ireland.

I am worried about the heat on the Southern route in the Summer.

Thoughts about North vs. South? Agree that River cruises are too risky? We've taken two Princess cruises, should we stick with them or are there better cruise lines we should do in Europe?

Sorry the questions are so long. Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 08:52 AM

Personally, I find southern Europe too hot in the summer to be enjoyable, so there's no doubt I'd recommend a northern European ocean cruise. I don't personally feel a river cruise is risky, but weather is weather and river levels are river levels, and neither can be predicted a year out, so I have no idea what next summer might hold. Or are you talking about this summer? It wasn't clear to me, but since it's already July I was thinking 2016.

I like Celebrity or HAL or Azamara, but if you like Princess, it's a great cruise line, and you already know what to expect.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Doug:

Either 2016 or 2017, as our Anniversary is in November. I wouldn't start now for 2015.

Do you like the cruise lines you mentioned better than Princess? We're not wedded to them.

Thanks.
Old Jul 1st, 2015, 10:25 AM

Those are my personal preferences. And if you want to splurge a bit, add Silversea to the list (but it would be easily double the cost of either Celebrity or Princess).

I like the cruise lines I mention because they fit in better with my style, but I don't necessarily prefer them over Princess, which may be closer to your style. In a way, getting what you expect is as important as finding something that's "better".
Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 02:10 PM

If you are looking at November, your choices would be very limited for Northern Europe, if they offer them at all. So Mediterranean would be your only choice.

My suggestion would be a Eastern Mediterranean or Greek Isles cruise.

I would also added that Celebrity and Princess are comparable and if you are comfortable with Princess, you would not be disappointed with Celebrity.

If you are concerned about collecting loyalty awards, stick with Princess. Their ships' laid out are similar so you will find familiarity.

The one big difference I find is that Celebrity is creating "class" within their main passenger groups by offering Aqua class, Concierge class and then the general public. Then there are the suite level passengers on top of all these classes. Each "class" received distinctive "benefits", and of course, different price points.
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Eschew:

My apologies for not being clearer.

As I said in my initial post, I can only take that much time off in the Summer, so my cruise would have to be in the summer. What I meant by November is that our 25th Anniversary is November of 2016, so I could either celebrate early, by cruising is summer 2016, or celebrate late by cruising in Summer 2017. As of now I am unopposed for election in 2016, it may depend on whether or not it stays that way. Can't leave for 2 weeks+ if that's a month before my next election.

Considering that it has to be summer, probably July, would you recommend Northern or Southern Europe? Again, I'm worried about the heat in Southern Europe over the summer.

Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2015, 09:42 PM

Senator Steve, my apologies if I did not read your OP properly. If you are thinking about travelling in July or August, I would definitely avoid the Mediterranean as it will be very crowded and very hot. Early September would be better for the Mediterranean than July and August.

If you are looking for 10 to 12 days of cruise time plus a couple days for travelling, you have a lot of options. My personal favorite would be the Baltic cruise, seeing highlights of more than half a dozen countries.

You can also do a simple British isles cruise, or an Iceland / British Isles / Scandinavian combo, or the Norwegian Fjord with some part of the Scandinavia and / or Denmark / Holland depending on embarkation point.

If you are looking for mother nature wonders, the Norwegian Fjord cruise is very much like an Alaskan cruise. This is not too popular yet so choices are limited. But you will get almost 24 hours of day light on some days while you sail into the Arctic circle.

If you are looking for cultural/historic sights, then the Baltic cruise would be the one.

If you are looking for cruises under 10 days, then your choices are more limited and the British Isles may be the only one that fit the bill.

One more thing, I am talking about mass market ships so your choices maybe different if you are looking into Silver Seas, Oceania and the like.