Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

55 and traveling solo ¿deliman, avalon, viking, uniworld, tauck...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would like to spend my 55 birthday on a river cruise down the danube to the black sea which cruise line would you recommend for ambiance, food, and comfort? thankx
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:35 PM

Hello,

Peter Deilmann is a river cruise line, based in Germany and has a large European (especially German) clientele. It has a very German ambiance and influence with announcements made in German and English - if you are English-speaking, you will find yourself in the minority. However, the food and the ambiance are superior and the comfort is excellent.

Viking is an outstanding river cruise line with a primarily American clientele. They have lovely ships, shore excursions are included with a classic and traditional ambiance. After Deilmann, they have the most experience in the river cruise market.

Uniworld and Avalon are newer entries into the river cruise market and cater almost entirely to the American market. They have new ships, excellent cuisine, excellent shore excursions and a classic, but relaxed atmosphere.

Tauck is a land-based tour company with an outstanding reputation for their tours and a growing and excellent reputation for their river cruises. Again, you will have good food, especially excellent guides and a generally wonderful experience with premium comfort.

If you are comfortable with the German and European culture, Deilmann is an excellent choice. My second recommendation would be Viking River Cruises. My third choice would be Tauck. However, if the other cruise lines work better for you, do not hesitate with any of these cruise lines. Be sure to book a stateroom on the highest level deck that you can afford because the views from your stateroom are worth the small increase in price.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:17 AM

We have cruised with Uniworld and Avalon. I think either would be fine for you, but we prefered Uniworld somewhat more. The food was much better on Uniworld. Consider Deilmann only if you are comfortable with not having too many others to converse with, unless you speak German. I have heard from many that although Viking has alot of ships, they are not as upscale in ambiance, comfort, or cuisine. We have been with Tauck on land tours and they do an excellant job and make it very comfortable and welcoming for solo travelers.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM

We just returned last month from a Viking river cruise, Waterways of the Czars, and had a wonderful time. We met several (both male and female) passengers who were traveling solo and seemed to be enjoying the trip.

The Russian ships are the least luxurious of the fleet, but we thought our room, though small, quite efficient and comfortable. The staff couldn't have been nicer, our guides were excellent, the food was good and we look forward to another river cruise with Viking hopefully next year.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

thank all of you for the advice i'm south american, and bilingual so language wouldn't be a problem at all... my father is european, so i'm also comfortable with their logistics and way of doing things too.. la vici
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 03:22 PM

We did a Deilmann cruise last fall on the Seine. Unlike other ships, they have assigned tables in the dining room. There was a large contingent of German passengers and a US university group... leaving three strays. Us (we?), my husband and I... and an 80 yr old widow from Florida traveling alone. So the dining room steward put us together at one table. Well... probably just dumb luck... but we had the best time. Much wine and laughter, etc. After awhile, people from the university group started to drift over to our table. No matter what, Deilmann will take care of you. Service is superb.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:07 AM

Have you considered Amadeus Waterways? We are looking at them for a Christmas Market cruise next December. Large cabins than Viking, nice fitness facilities, new and modern fleet. And a single supplement that does not make one want to choke They also include wine with dinner, a nice touch.

As one who has cruised solo on a number of occasions over the years, I think this would be a great experience. Unlike the large, more structured environment of a cruise ship, the extended port times, more interesting ports, more intimate atmosphere seem perfect for solo travel. And I suspect the demographic will be adult and well travelled, a good one for socializing and conversation.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:08 AM

A major consideration is how much the line will hammer you for a single supplement.

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM

I traveled solo with Dielmann last month. It was wonderful. Most tours had separate buses divided by language. Some of their boats have larger staterooms than others, but even with the relatively small stateroom I had plenty of space. The food was A++ and the crew couldn't have been nicer. I think you would love it.