Reload this Page >

Need help planning Alaska Cruise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Sparks

We just finished booking our northbound cruise to Alaska in mid June. Now we are trying to figure out how to spend 4-5 days after we land at Seward. I have read many people prefer the Kenai pennisula to traveling up to Denali. What is your opinion? Also, my husband wants to go salmon fishing. Is this a good time of year and where is the best fishing? Thanks for the help!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Sparks,<BR><BR>There is salmon fishing all the time in Alaska. You will catch more fish in August where they jump out of the water at you, but that is not sport.<BR><BR>There is tons to do in Seward from the huge Sealife Center built with the Valdez money to the Heritage Museum to the sled dog camp where you can ride a sled and pet the puppies. You can take the short hike to the Exit Glacier, go kayacking, fishing, visit the old town and the new tourist area where the boats dock. Take a helicopter ride. Take the most important boat trip through the Kenai Fiords. Maybe stay overnight at one of the camps. Maybe stay overnight at one of the bear lodges. This is the &quot;real&quot; Alaska. You will not see any of this stuff on the ship.<BR><BR>If you have the time there are many sights to see in Anchorage. The museums are plentiful. WW2 aircraft and war movies, aurora borealis museum, earthquake museum, carriage rides, trolley rides. Plane ride over Mt. Mckinley or seaplane up to one of the glaciers.<BR><BR>Have a geat time.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>Paul

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 05:50 PM
tony smithe

I have been booking my nextcruise with &lt;a<BR>href=&quot;http://www.bluewatercruiseguide.com&quot;&gt; Blue Water Cruise Guide &lt;/a&gt; they seem to really know the Alaska scene. I am also working on a Caribbean cruise with them at this time....Good luck with your Alaska Cruise and glacier tours.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 02:16 PM
John

Actually, the salmon fisheries convenient to visitors in mid-June are more limited than Paul would suggest. There is fishing for King Salmon in salt water on the lower Kenai Peninsula (between Kenai and Homer), and, unless the fisheries are closed by the State, the possibility for fishing for early Kings or Reds (Sockeye) on parts of the Kenai or (ugh) Russian Rivers - about an hour or two drive from Seward. There will undoubtedly be fishing excursions offered by the cruise line at various points in Southeast Alaska, with good sport.<BR><BR>If it was me I'd probably head to Denali rather than staying on the Kenai Peninsula - the scenery on the Kenai is mainly coastal, and you'll have had a week of that already on the boat.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 12:08 AM
Paul Therault

Hi John,<BR><BR>What you see on the ship is nothing compared to waht you will see on a small boat trip throught he Kenai Fjords. You will see every type of wildlife imaginable plus get up close to the calving glaciers. <BR><BR>I may be wrong John but I thought there was salmon fishing in Seward from May thru September. A couple of places are Sablefish Charters 800-357-2253 or Aurora Charters 888-586-8420.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 06:26 AM
John

Of course you can go out of Seward on charters for salmon, it's just that there may not be too many fish to look for. Seward is noted for its Silver Salmon (Coho) fishery, which is at its peak typically around the first of August. That doesn't mean there aren't fish at other times, but remember they're migratory critters and you want some chance of getting fish if you're spending that kind of money. In June the main runs are in Cook Inlet and its tributaries, on the other side of the Peninsula.<BR><BR>Halibut fishing can be more productive, although somewhat more tedious than salmon fishing. (Sort of like fishing for submarines - be careful when you hook a big one.)

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Paul Therault

I agree. Head over to Homer for halibut.<BR><BR>Thanks for the info. I find it useful to help others. I am not a fisherman.<BR><BR>I have been to Alaska enough to know that in the Juneau area the salmon in August are jumping up to your feet on land as they head back home to die. Quite a phenomenon.<BR><BR>Paul