Multi-country cruise, currency questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be on a Panama canal cruise, ports in Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Dominican Republic.

Do we need local currencies? To tip the tour guides, to buy cheap souvenirs... I guess that's it.

In Dominican Republic: to get to the airport is probably ship tour with the drop-off. We'll need food in the airport, is credit card (MasterCard) OK? What about buying water after security check?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 05:30 AM

Faina - I've cruised in the Caribbean many times and never found a port that didn't readily accept US$. Not familiar with the Dominican Republic airport, but generally speaking, I prefer not to use my credit cards for small items when cruising --- whether there is a real or perceived additional risk of fraud, I don't know, but prefer not to take the chance for small purchases. I'd pay cash for food at the airport.

Enjoy your Panama Canal cruise - I've done the partial transit a half dozen times but so far have not taken the 14 days or so to take the full transit --- is that what you are taking?

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 06:23 AM

Faina: Though its been a while I used the USD in the DR w/ no problems. BTW when are you going? We leave feb. 12 for the full transit. You go earlier, correct? would luv a TR!! Larry
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both, I guess I need to get a life and stop worrying

We're going January 4-18, Los Angeles through canal to Santo Domingo, flying back (hopefully!) the same day.

Scheduled to arrive in port at 4 am, flight at 3 or 4 pm, don't remember, this will give us time to reserve a tour of the city with the airport drop-off.

Don't worry, Larry, I always post reports, and now even photos! Report should be posted by the end of January, as for pictures... as soon as they get developed!

I still use the manual camera with a manual film that I take to develop, print a set of paper pictures and create a CD. Not all our relatives (Russia!) can afford or know how to use computers.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:50 PM

Thank you. I'll look forward to that. Da!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

I hope it's da not duh
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM

. Phonetically speaking naztrovia!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Tossing some choice words at me?
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM

Well I thought it was a good choice.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Ooooh, you ran out of russian words! I thought this would happen
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:32 AM

Well of course I did. I don't speak Russian so time for "duh"
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Fine, now it's time for me to start.

Privet, kak dela?
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 08:49 AM

?? Namaste
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Jacket, are you watching your cruise fare? You're going in February, right?

They've posted Montego Bay tours already Only one port so far. No, we won't make our own reservations.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:13 PM

Yes we ar going in Feb. Have the cruise fares gone up? Our ship stops in Ocho Rios, not Mo Bay. I haven't checked excursions lately but the last time none were yet available. I know we will pay through the nose for air fare or at least I think so as we aren't doing a R/T from the same place. Cheers, Larry
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

The prices have gone DOWN, I posted here, and I was able to slash $680!!! I just can't beleive it!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35145332

The regular price is down, and they've posted senior rate (from 55 years old) and living in the same state - our cruise takes off from California where we live.

I can not believe my luck
Old Jul 26th, 2008, 10:21 AM

wow! I'll look into that. Thank you. Larry
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM

I did the Panama Canal cruise - if you like going to the beach, grab a cab in Costa Rica and ask him to take you to a local beach with a bar/restaurant. We went to one - sorry, don't know the name, but the surf was incredible as was the food. Cab came back for us at specified time. Then we walked around town. US dollar is no problem, and the prices in CR are amazing - very cheap. Also, if you don't get an excursion at the Canal through the ship, you usually can't get off the ship, so you will probably want to buy an excursion through the ship. They will have dancers and a "market" set-up at the terminal in Panama, again, great prices. Warning - there wasn't any food available, so we went without eating from breakfast until we got back on the ship. Eat a hearty breakfast, take a snack, unless things have changed. Our excursion included a tour of the canal from the land side which was really interesting.

Panama Canal was the best cruise we have ever been on. If you have a balcony, you may be lucky enough to go through the locks standing on your balcony, watching the ships next to you go through as well. There are two locks - if your balcony is on the side of the ship that is next to the other lock, don't bother going up on deck (it will be very crowded.) Just stay on your balcony and watch everything - it is an amazing adventure.

In Jamaica, we just grabbed a cab and went to Dunn's Falls (loved climbing the waterfall). The locals will hound you to buy their stuff, just be firm and walk away. Then the cabbie took us to a gated shopping area and we finished by eating at Margaritaville and then walking back to the ship. It was a fun day.

Warning - if you want to walk the falls, you will get WET, and you should have water shoes. They will rent them to you, but you can bring your own. They have lockers you can rent, and I think they charged us for climbing the falls. It was still cheaper than the ships price. It was a blast, I really enjoyed climbing the falls.

Have fun!
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM

leebabs; Thank you. I am a bit confused by whay you are reffering to by "an excursion at the Canal." You mean you can do stuff while you are traversing the Canal besides what you do while in port? So what sort of things can one do? This sounds interesting. We have done the Dunns b4 so in OR we'll just relax in town and see if there is still anyone we remember working at the Jamaica Grande which we have stayed at a few time b4. We do have balconies BTW. Cheers, Larry
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

"Also, if you don't get an excursion at the Canal through the ship, you usually can't get off the ship, so you will probably want to buy an excursion through the ship." - thank you, I didn't know that!

"They will have dancers and a "market" set-up at the terminal in Panama, again, great prices." - is this during the 2-hour scheduled stop? The description of the cruise is confusing on the day of the cruise.

Let me see if I got this right. For a full day moving through the canal, I can either stay on the ship, or buy a tour from the cruise only, or I won't be allowed to get off, is that right?

Then the ship has a scheduled 2-hr stop when everybody is allowed off the ship for some shopping.

Correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -