Reload this Page >

Monarch of the Sea

Search

Monarch of the Sea

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 1999, 03:35 AM
janice

Monarch of the Sea

Our first cruise in June. Any tips on where to go, what not to miss, shore excursions, shopping etc etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 1999, 03:31 PM
carol

<BR>Went on Monarch 2 years ago not sure that it does the same itinerary. If it does Barbados is the place to buy rum and go on the tour of the caves. In Antiuga go to the beach the water is beautiful. St. Martin is the place to shop go to International Diamonds if you are looking for jewlery they really treat you well and do give the best prices. This ship is my favorite ship and we have been on 8 cruises. The champagne lounge is a good place to get away from it all and they have good music and atmosphere I am sure that you will enjoy the ship the service was terrific Bon Voyage!

Old Feb 17th, 1999, 06:31 AM
Mary

We went on the Monarch in May about 2 years and loved every minute of it. We took no shore excursions as we planned just to walk around and be lazy. I would definitely just stay on the boat in Martinique or take a shore excursion. The passengers who "did their own thing" were not happy with the treatment they received from the locals. We left the boat to buy champagne and went back aboard and treated it as a "day at sea." <BR>Shopping is great at almost every other port but we looked more than we bought. Our two personal favorites to shop and look around were St. Martin and Antigua. <BR>Service, food, everything on board will be great. I agree with Carol about the Champagne lounge. It was largely overlooked by passengers on our cruise so it was quiet. Also, the Viking Crown Lounge (correct name? it's been awhile) was surprisingly quiet late in the evening. Have fun!

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 08:45 AM
Janice

Any other suggestions?

Old Mar 25th, 1999, 10:51 AM
ruth

Janice, we are taking Monarch this Sunday. Second time (first was 3/16/97) as our Enchantment cruise was canceled due to engine trouble and our agent scrambled to find us another cruise. Loved the first time so feel good about repeating with four other friends this time. <BR> <BR>We took all the "historical/informational tours on each island and enjoyed them but will do most of the water stuff this time. <BR> <BR>Best shopping for jewelry is Omni Jewlers in St. Maarten and clothing at St. Thomas. Will detail if you'd like. Just email me as soon as possible as I'll be cruising as of Sunday. <BR> <BR>[email protected] <BR>

Old Apr 14th, 1999, 11:26 AM
KRISTA

Hi Janice, <BR> <BR>If you happen to like chocolate milkshakes, make sure you order one at the Viking Crown Lounge. They were the BEST I ever had! Unfortunately, I only discovered them toward the end of the cruise.... <BR> <BR>The island tour of Barbados, offered as a shore excursion by RCCL, was great! We got to see a lot of the island and historical sights. <BR> <BR>Definitely a great ship and vacation!

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 10:55 AM
Diana C.

<BR>My husband and I just got back from a cruise on the Monarch last week, WE LOVED IT! The moment we stepped on the ship we were in awe. It was soo beautiful and they treat you first class the entire time. The food was very good, especially at dinner. 6 Courses every night and they bring you what ever you want. We did the Antigua Jolly Pirate Boat tour (booze cruise) be careful of the rum punch..it's pure grain alcohol and a lot of women were passing out after. And we did the Barbados snorkle. Absolutely faboulous! St.Thomas was great for shopping, and St.Maarten (french side) had the most beautiful beach "Orient Beach". It was topless optional but be aware of the "au natural" side. It's not for everyone but definatley an experience. We are planning another trip in Nov. on the Majesty we loved it so much!

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 04:02 PM
Monica Richards

Definitely be wary of the rum punch on the Jolly Roger Pirate Cruise. I took a Monarch of the Seas cruise a few years ago and did the Jolly Roger thing in Antigua also. Stayed sober on the way out 'cause I wanted to swim and swing on the rope. On the way back (a 45 minute ride max) I drank the punch. Must have been thirsty or something because in no time I went from sober to so drunk I blacked out. In less than an hour! And a cruise ship is NOT the place to have a hangover!! So be wise, and stick to the beer.